• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Are Olights junk?

Oh it’s real. There was a document leaked a little while back, “vista outdoors”… I beleive was the company. Anyway it showed all of the payed endorsements to YouTube personalities like Garand Thumb and MrGunsNGear etc.
that being said I don’t think Olight is bad for casual use I just think with research and smart shopping you can find better options
Oh yeah I know it’s real. Just seems bonkers to me, like make a good product or don’t. If you make it good enough, it can stand on its own without paid endorsement. Just my humble opinion.

but yeah they’re decent lights. My handheld at work is an olight so far it’s been decent. I have one of their small weapon lights on a pistol and it’s worked every time I clicked it on. But also heard of one blowing up and killing a guy too so

Oh yeah I know it’s real. Just seems bonkers to me, like make a good product or don’t. If you make it good enough, it can stand on its own without paid endorsement. Just my humble opinion.

but yeah they’re decent lights. My handheld at work is an olight so far it’s been decent. I have one of their small weapon lights on a pistol and it’s worked every time I clicked it on. But also heard of one blowing up and killing a guy too so

According to the reports I read, he had the flashlight in his mouth and somehow made contact with the battery while looking under the hood. The Plantiffs dropped the lawsuit.

I have had several Olights in the past. I recently sold most of them due to charging and battery issues. I would, in now way trust an Olight as a weapon light. I carry a Warrior Mini Copper because of heat dissipation and weight. I had bought several Olights in the past to stash in first aid kits, bug out bags and so on. Then I found them all dead as a hammer. I went a little too deep down the rabbit hole with testing batteries and chargers. I found out that any light with the IMR16340 battery had a constant drain on it and killed the battery while dormant. I also had a few issues with the 21700 battery in the WP and WT and the company warrantied two batteries for me. To be quite honest I have completely given up on Olight and passed them off as another Chinese company with sub-par lights. The only Olight's I still have are powered by wither a AA, AAA or 18650. All of the others IMO are garbage.

With all of that being said, I still have a few BNIB lights in a box I'll sell.

S2R Baton II Titanium - Black
S2R Baton II Titanium - Rainbow
S2R Baton II Titanium - Silver
Warrior Mini Copper
i3T EOS Brass
Obulb - Blue

I have had several Olights in the past. I recently sold most of them due to charging and battery issues. I would, in now way trust an Olight as a weapon light. I carry a Warrior Mini Copper because of heat dissipation and weight. I had bought several Olights in the past to stash in first aid kits, bug out bags and so on. Then I found them all dead as a hammer. I went a little too deep down the rabbit hole with testing batteries and chargers. I found out that any light with the IMR16340 battery had a constant drain on it and killed the battery while dormant. I also had a few issues with the 21700 battery in the WP and WT and the company warrantied two batteries for me. To be quite honest I have completely given up on Olight and passed them off as another Chinese company with sub-par lights. The only Olight's I still have are powered by wither a AA, AAA or 18650. All of the others IMO are garbage.

With all of that being said, I still have a few BNIB lights in a box I'll sell.

S2R Baton II Titanium - Black
S2R Baton II Titanium - Rainbow
S2R Baton II Titanium - Silver
Warrior Mini Copper
i3T EOS Brass
Obulb - Blue

Batteries generate electricity due to a chemical reaction inside the cell. Even when the battery’s electrodes are not connected, the battery’s charge gradually reduces over time. It's called self-discharge. It happens to all batteries and cannot be avoided. If the batteries don't discharge over time, the batteries will expand and pop. Surefire batteries had a major issue with that when they first came out. Batteries in lights would pop after a few days of non-usage and corrode the inside of the light.

I don't know what is wrong with the lights you had, where did you buy them from? You may have gotten knockoff lights. I have had 4 Olights on weapons for about 4-5 years and have had zero issues. I've run various courses, used them at work, hunted and camped with them. There are several torture tests of Olights being, dropped from a drone, excavators running over them, shot, frozen, boiled, and all sorts of ridiculous stuff. So it is definitely odd that you had such bad luck with so many.

Back
Top Bottom