• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Are people actually buying used ARs on ODT?

ARs have become Trading Stock kinda like Hi Points and pump shotguns. These are the things that get thrown in on a deal to get what you really want.
I built my lower and stuck a 16" compliance PSA upper on it. I'm satisfied with the finished product but I would trade it for a WASR or SKS in a heartbeat.

For me the question is , how low will they go? I see this time as an opportunity to invest in a few entry level ARs if you want. I do not think they will get lower than the $300+ range. I imagine manufacturers are dumping current stock and trying to keep a workforce busy and supply chain intact. I cannot foresee this model lasting. I think higher end builders will be fine. There will always be a perceived value for those wanting higher end ARs. The low-end offerings will thin out as smaller manufacturers struggle to keep up in a price war and eventually fold or get absorbed. Larger low-end suppliers will then be able to start creeping prices back up until the market decides what "normal" pricing should be. This feels like a buyers market that will not be able to go much lower. But many factors could influence it in many ways. Should be an interesting year ahead...
I didn't own an AR until 95 when I had a DPMS and I don't ever remember ARs being under $400.00 . Not in the 80s or certainly not the 90s. But the bottom falling out is not just panic buying being over. I think part of it is because so many companies are making ARs and parts. When I first got into guns there weren't that many companies building ARs and 1911s. But now since they're kinda public domain products they're everywhere.

I didn't own an AR until 95 when I had a DPMS and I don't ever remember ARs being under $400.00 . Not in the 80s or certainly not the 90s. But the bottom falling out is not just panic buying being over. I think part of it is because so many companies are making ARs and parts. When I first got into guns there weren't that many companies building ARs and 1911s. But now since they're kinda public domain products they're everywhere.

Yep, everyone is making them Ruger, S&W, etc. Demand was great when there was fear of restriction. Everyone wanted to get one before they were banned or restricted.

Panic buying, suppliers responded and now demand is down.

Buyer's market.

ARs and 1911s are kinda in the same ball park, this happened in an offer once "asked if a guy was interested in X AR, said yes but only valued it at 400 because he could buy a new one for that. I replied with yes, you can also buy a $300 Taurus 1911, doesn't mean its the same as a Kimber or Dan Wesson." Never heard from him again lol.

The value for the higher end DD, LWRC, Noveske, LaRue's will always maintain price. Just like WC, DW, LB, Ed Brown, Kimber will maintain their values regardless of what the market does. But ill take a used DD over 3 new Ruger ARs anyday.

The high end ARs and optics are still way up there. They have come down a little, but not much. Larue, KAC, Wilson etc. are all still going for a healthy price. The lower end stuff has taken a total nose dive.

Back
Top Bottom