• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Are there any alternatives to Window 10 out there?

You can use ubuntu. But you shouldn't "wear" a computer out in two years unless your just buying junk.

Windows 10 has some really features and been rock solid in all my builds.

You can store your files locally and do NOT have to use office 365 if you don't want too. You can use a local account to log in still too if you desire.

I use OSX on an apple computer and buy a new one ever 10 to 15 years.

I have to have a PC for work that gets occasional use. I buy thinkpads running the latest Microsoft Virus errrr I mean OS. I buy a new one every year.

PCs are garbage and the cost of ownership is 5 times that of an Apple product.
Sorry to get off topic, PM me if you want.
Honestly just curious, does Apple have server solutions for networks on a private domain with DC or that require database servers? We have to follow all these HIPAA guidelines and run our medical record solutions on, I just never see any facility run Apple products unless they have a cloud based records software system that runs on some type of JAVA or citrix program.

Sorry to get off topic, PM me if you want.
Honestly just curious, does Apple have server solutions for networks on a private domain with DC or that require database servers? We have to follow all these HIPAA guidelines and run our medical record solutions on, I just never see any facility run Apple products unless they have a cloud based records software system that runs on some type of JAVA or citrix program.

You would treat a Mac just like a Linux box, which is essentially what it is. Your authentication would be via LDAP and you would use basic TCP/IP functions like DHCP, DNS, etc. for networking.

For file and print any LAN attached printer will work, and you should be able to connect to any kind of NFS share (which Windows Server 2016 can serve up now). I'm not sure how Macs handle CIFS (Windows) shares these days, but I'd be surprised if they couldn't.

The biggest issue we have run into over the years has been supporting a different OS for a tiny percentage of users, and the fact that while Mac use x86, that doesn't mean Windows programs will run under emulation.

You may also find that things like auditing tools for HIPPA and such may not support Mac.

You would treat a Mac just like a Linux box, which is essentially what it is. Your authentication would be via LDAP and you would use basic TCP/IP functions like DHCP, DNS, etc. for networking.

For file and print any LAN attached printer will work, and you should be able to connect to any kind of NFS share (which Windows Server 2016 can serve up now). I'm not sure how Macs handle CIFS (Windows) shares these days, but I'd be surprised if they couldn't.

The biggest issue we have run into over the years has been supporting a different OS for a tiny percentage of users, and the fact that while Mac use x86, that doesn't mean Windows programs will run under emulation.

You may also find that things like auditing tools for HIPPA and such may not support Mac.

Yep. We built a server for one of the studios a few years ago and the spec’d it out with a Mac trash can at it’s heart. The thing ended up costing 50 grand and at the end of the day it’s just a server. I could have built a dell server that would have achieved the exact same thing for under 20.

I do not recommend Apple for server applications.

I use a variety. My workstation is a four year old i7/Win 10 Pro with an SSD and as much cloud stuff disabled as possible. It's been a workhorse for me. Yes, I get blue screen of death five or six times a year, but sometimes I am running multiple browsers with 30+ tabs open, editors, an ancient version of Outlook, other office apps, numerous SSH terminals, Slack, old Macromedia Fireworks, FTP client, and a hodgepodge of stuff. It's been a reliable workhorse, and I'd build it again in a heartbeat.

I also use a 2 in 1 convertable Asus Chromebook for reading and surfing. It's a great machine. It just works. Great keyboard, too. Gives snappy performance on basically what amounts to a smartphone CPU.

I occassionally use Linux workstations for projects. Love 'em. Makes old/slow hardware work well, and makes newer hardware fly. Very stable. Just a different feel. Lots of apps available, and most of the real software drought from 5+ years ago is gone. You can get software to do pretty much anything. I like Ubuntu.

For Win 10: A fast SSD is a must. 16GB RAM is a must (8 for light use). And get the fastest processor you can afford. Don't be afraid of AMD Ryzen. Great CPUs.

Unless you’re an avid gamer or absolutely have to run Windows, get a Mac and don’t look back! They are worth the upfront premium and cheaper in the long run.

Back
Top Bottom