• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Are there any alternatives to Window 10 out there?

We are looking to buy a new computer later this year.
Are there any options to Windows 10? But not really looking for Mac... What are the downsides for those of you that run Windows 10?
Thanks for the input everyone. How much is the disk to try? Can you play games on this OS?
I can't recommend GNU/Linux systems enough. I'm especially pleased to see there are this many ODTers who use it. Way to go @StuP aFarewellToKings aFarewellToKings @Moondog1 Ex313 Ex313 rbstern rbstern

Linux has come along way since I first got free from Win-Mac about 10 years ago. If I were starting out again today I'd choose Ubuntu, Pop!_OS from System76 (they make some pretty good Linux laptops btw), Elementary OS, PureOS, or maybe Mint. Any of these are pretty easy for first timers to use. And they are so much better than the privacy and security nightmare called Windows.

Macs have been running intel chips for 12 years. OSX uses a Linux kernel but that’s the only thing they have in common.

I‘be got content security to worry about. I don’t run anything open source or “hacked”. Too much at stake.

I buy Asus laptops for our customer service reps. They seem to like them but I’m not impressed.

Haha, that was the argument against OSS 20 years ago. Now there are F1000 companies running the majority of their applications on OSS.

I spotted the Apple fanboi.

I wonder why no one has recommended running multiple OSs on the same machine and using each one as needed?

Free. Both to try and to keep using.

Chess? Yes.

Latest Call of Duty? Unlikely.

If high end gaming is a main use, stick with Win 10.

Steam works well on Linux.
While I agree on the latest COD or any other big name game, you be surprised at the number of high end games (including some of those big namers) you can find for Linux.
I wonder why no one has recommended running multiple OSs on the same machine and using each one as needed?
OP didn't seem ready for that, yet. Gotta corrupt people slow here.:tongue:

While I agree on the latest COD or any other big name game, you be surprised at the number of high end games (including some of those big namers) you can find for Linux. OP didn't seem ready for that, yet. Gotta corrupt people slow here.:tongue:
Yeah that's a bit advanced lol. Virtual machines anyone?

Back
Top Bottom