• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Are there any alternatives to Window 10 out there?

Haha, that was the argument against OSS 20 years ago. Now there are F1000 companies running the majority of their applications on OSS.

I spotted the Apple fanboi.

No argument from me. We would fail an audit in a heartbeat if one of our machines were found to be running non studio content security approved software.

I was referring more to the hackintosh comment rather than OSS. I supposed saying we won’t run anything open source was incorrect, especially since a large number of our servers (at least the ones that don’t crash often) are Linux machines.

I spotted the Apple fanboi.

No fanboi at all, I just depend on my machines for my livelihood and as such I use the best tool for the job.

General computing, web browsing, configuring equipment from a web browser I use a Mac.

When I need to console into a machine or get into an IPO I grab my thinkpad. I could console using screen from my Mac and I have a VM setup with W7 on the Mac if I really was in a bind and had to get into an IPO without the thinkpad nearby, but honestly it’s so much easier from a dedicated win machine I just carry both.

The thinkpad does live in its bag in the trunk of my car more often these day’s as I have transitioned into a sales engineer role and less of a tech, but is still keep it with me most of the time.

If I could get the IPO and Avigilon software to play nice with Linux I wouldn’t have a piece of Microsoft software in my home.

I despise Microsoft and still firmly believe that windows XP SP2 was their last great OS. 7 was good and 10 has grown on me but I could live the rest of my life without using windows and be perfectly content.

No argument from me. We would fail an audit in a heartbeat if one of our machines were found to be running non studio content security approved software.

I was referring more to the hackintosh comment rather than OSS. I supposed saying we won’t run anything open source was incorrect, especially since a large number of our servers (at least the ones that don’t crash often) are Linux machines.

No fanboi at all, I just depend on my machines for my livelihood and as such I use the best tool for the job.

General computing, web browsing, configuring equipment from a web browser I use a Mac.

When I need to console into a machine or get into an IPO I grab my thinkpad. I could console using screen from my Mac and I have a VM setup with W7 on the Mac if I really was in a bind and had to get into an IPO without the thinkpad nearby, but honestly it’s so much easier from a dedicated win machine I just carry both.

The thinkpad does live in its bag in the trunk of my car more often these day’s as I have transitioned into a sales engineer role and less of a tech, but is still keep it with me most of the time.

If I could get the IPO and Avigilon software to play nice with Linux I wouldn’t have a piece of Microsoft software in my home.

I despise Microsoft and still firmly believe that windows XP SP2 was their last great OS. 7 was good and 10 has grown on me but I could live the rest of my life without using windows and be perfectly content.

I was just busting your chops.

My work cpu is a mac. Hi-tech companies use them across their workforce for the very reasons you referenced.

I was just busting your chops.

My work cpu is a mac. Hi-tech companies use them across their workforce for the very reasons you referenced.

my default response is supposed be to argue with you right? Isn’t that how it works around here?

Hmmm, sorry your girl lost.

did I do that right? :becky:

I agree about MS and XP. Having said that, i still think XP was a step down in some (trivial UI) ways from 98.
In fact I still have a home PC running XP; it's on its way to retirement. Just a 'new' one with 7, just couldn't pass up the deal. Debating the free upgrade to 10. I think 10 is probably a reasonably acceptable version. Given that all MS upgrades have some things that are steps backwards, or sideways (not desirable).

Back
Top Bottom