• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Are there any alternatives to Window 10 out there?

If you have a valid Win 7 or 8 license, you can still 'upgrade' your PC to win 10 for free. The steps in this article still work...

https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-how-you-can-still-get-a-free-windows-10-upgrade/

The simple fact is that Macs are ridiculously overpriced for what you get, and Linux requires a fair amount of technical knowledge. Windows may not be the 'best' OS, but it's what everyone knows, and what 99.99% of the programs and accessories are designed to use.

Yes, I know what you mean.

What are the risks/downsides of running windows 10?
I have heard it stores and sends information on the user.
Is this true?
The only thing I've heard of is M$ 'upgrading' you without letting you know it. Or what impacts it'll have (as if they know!).
Don't know how much truth there.

Yes, I know what you mean.

What are the risks/downsides of running windows 10?
I have heard it stores and sends information on the user.
Is this true?

Both Windows and Macs are 'nosy', in that they send telemetry back to the mothership.

If you turn off Cortana on Windows (or Siri on Mac) this eliminates a lot of it, and you can Google articles discussing how to reduce the amount of program info gets sent back. Most of this isn't personal info, since that tends to put vendors in the sights of a lawsuit of they lose control of it. Usually it's crash reports and such, but even that might be more than you want.

Like I say, you can Google various strategies to pare this down, although a certain amount of information about your hardware and programs will get sent back no matter what you do. That's how both vendors track the effectiveness (or bugginess) of patches and device drivers and such.

That being said, neither one will send your credit card info back to the vendor (unless you plug it into iTunes or XBox Live or something). They both want to store all your docs and pics and such on their cloud, but you can disable that pretty easily. I can't speak for Macs, but with Windows you can still backup locally, especially if you use your own program and disable the built-in service.

Again, just go through the Settings on WIndows 10 and turn off anything that doesn't sound like something you need.

Also, do some physical things as well. For example while I always disable the mic and camera on my systems, I also never leave a mic plugged in or enabled in the BIOS if it's built-in, and I always cover any camera lens with tape.

People like to talk about Windows as if it has all the risks, but in reality Mac and Linux have just as many... They are simply smaller targets. Microsoft has been slowly getting better about building Windows to be more secure. It's much better in Win 10 than it was in 7 or 8, let alone XP.

The biggest problem Microsoft has these days is QC on their patches. Delaying delivery a week or so will usually solve that though.

but you can disable that pretty easily. I can't speak for Macs, but with Windows you can still backup locally, especially if you use your own program and disable the built-in service.

How?

Without buying the Office Suite?

I have all the Office apps, but even they are "in the cloud".. I need to download and store an Excel file, and I can't because I don't have Excel "locally."

I need to send the file to someone, and all I can send is a link to a cloud based file.

Back
Top Bottom