• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Are there any alternatives to Window 10 out there?

I've noticed mostly with Excel - in complex formulas or odd ball case things can work differently. Or course, this may have been with older versions.

that was the issue with an earlier version of Open Office.

As long as you were just entering data into a table, Open Office would work. If there were any calculations, or pop up menus in the Excel, you would get garbage in Open Office.

Supposedly, the newest version of the Excel module in Libre is much improved. We will see.

The biggest issue with the OO Word program is you had to remember to save the document in Word format, the default was some OO format that was the computer version of Esperanto - and people using Word couldn't open it.

Some editing features wouldn't play nice between OO and Word, but they were advanced features that I was able to avoid using in the documents I was preparing.

One thing neither had the Wordperfect (the thinking person's WP program) had was the ability to insert the bar code for a zip code into an envelope or label. They still don't have that ability without some add ons, as far as I know.

The biggest issue with the OO Word program is you had to remember to save the document in Word format, the default was some OO format that was the computer version of Esperanto - and people using Word couldn't open it.
Not Esperanto... LibreOffice uses an international ISO/IEC standard called the OpenDocument file format (ODF) as its native format to save documents. LibreOffice also supports the closed / proprietary file formats of most other office suites, such as Microsoft Office, through a variety of import/export filters.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenDocument

I need to learn Linux a bit, CentOS specifically. I was thinking to get a Raspberry Pi and load it on there. Does that seem reasonable? I am not a computer enthusiast.

I need to learn Linux a bit, CentOS specifically. I was thinking to get a Raspberry Pi and load it on there. Does that seem reasonable? I am not a computer enthusiast.
Just use Raspbian, it works great. Why CentOS? Under the hood they are probably similar, it's just the gui that's different.

You couldn’t pay me to use office 365. We deal with office 365 security breaches daily. Office 365 is a hackers wet dream.

I don't use it. We are an on premise Dynamics and Exchange house. That was just a suggestion based in the fact the OP already has an office 365 subscription.

I don't use it. We are an on premise Dynamics and Exchange house. That was just a suggestion based in the fact the OP already has an office 365 subscription.

It amazes me to watch compromised accounts spread through an organization like wildfire.

the only thing worse than office 365 right now is free office 365 from go daddy. It’s a daily occurrence we get calls on.

It amazes me to watch compromised accounts spread through an organization like wildfire.

the only thing worse than office 365 right now is free office 365 from go daddy. It’s a daily occurrence we get calls on.

Comcast was pushing it hard recently also.

Back
Top Bottom