• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Are there any cheap gas grills that aren't....

I realize "cheap" doesn't mean the same thing to everybody and this thread illustrates that.
Here's my scale.
If it has a comma in the price... yeah... no where on the radar.
If it cost as much or more than an ODT priced Glock. Still not interested, though I'm sure it makes 'sense'. We just don't use it enough for that.
If it's Hi Point money, I'm probably going to be suspicious, but hey, I'm not proud...
So, somewhere between a Hi Point and a Glock is where I'm assuming something above throw away could be found. Might be wishful thinking.
Anything in that price range is a Throwaway unfortunately...this was my exact dilemma before buying that Huntington I linked above. I can deal with hotspots and don’t mind them as it gives you a little more flexibility for large cuts of meat or different size cuts once you learn the hot spots , I just wanted something that wouldn’t rust in a year. I think this one will last 3-5 years which I am ok with.

Anything in that price range is a Throwaway unfortunately...this was my exact dilemma before buying that Huntington I linked above. I can deal with hotspots and don’t mind them as it gives you a little more flexibility for large cuts of meat or different size cuts once you learn the hot spots , I just wanted something that wouldn’t rust in a year. I think this one will last 3-5 years which I am ok with.
Are you saying you're dealing with hotspots in that Huntington?

I have Oklahoma Joe propane/charcoal/smoker. Got a good deal on it.
Some hotspots on the propane half, but not bad. Can cook 12 burgers at the same time . Holds temperature well, temp gauges are cheap, but I do not used them anyways .

I have been enjoying the Char-Broil 3 in 1 Big Easy for a few years now. Grills, smokes and roasts. Pretty cool and fairly inexpensive. Does about everything we need and the grilling in infrared so it's pretty even heat.

I'm a recent convert to Weber. Our previous grills were four burner models: An Outdoor Gourmet (Academy) and NexGrill (Home Depot). We got decent life out of both gills (about four years), but they were pretty beat by the end of that period, and both were weak in terms of heating evenness. The NexGrill was better than the Ourdoor Gourmet (similar, four burner models). I could have rebuilt either with new burners and tents, but the cooking performance wasn't good enough to justify the expense of a rebuild.

Wanted better quality, decided we could make due with a smaller cook surface. ended up buying a Weber Spirit two burner model. Found one on sale at Ace in Anderson, SC for $350 back in December.

When I put it together, I was shocked at just how well made it was in comparison to the previous grills. the performance has been as good as the manufacturing quality. Cooking is far more predictable. Heats very evenly, hold temp predictably. Inspires confidence. It's very much worth the extra money.

Are you saying you're dealing with hotspots in that Huntington?
It is definitely not even heat across the grates, but not necessarily spots. The front burns hotter than the back does, but like I said I use that to my advantage similar to how I cook on charcoal with 3 zones and move meat around depending on thickness and how guests or family want the meat cooked.

All right I went with the one listed as "most durable" and linked above. Shockingly it was a good bit less at Home Depot (not in stock, had to order) so as it turns out it's even LESS than Hi Point money. :shocked: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Char-Gr...er-Propane-Gas-Grill-in-Black-E3072/300498549
Reviews are good on Amazon so we'll see....
If nothing else I like the nod to old school style and I know one thing for sure, it won't be any worse than the monstrous shimmering pile of stainless garbage I have right now that will decorate my curb as soon as this one comes in. :mmph:

I have Oklahoma Joe propane/charcoal/smoker. Got a good deal on it.
Some hotspots on the propane half, but not bad. Can cook 12 burgers at the same time . Holds temperature well, temp gauges are cheap, but I do not used them anyways .
I have one of the old Oklahoma Joe charcoal ones. It's a full 1/4" steel and I've had it over 20 years. It has a brass ta with a # on it and you can call them with that # and they will know who you are .

All right I went with the one listed as "most durable" and linked above. Shockingly it was a good bit less at Home Depot (not in stock, had to order) so as it turns out it's even LESS than Hi Point money. :shocked: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Char-Gr...er-Propane-Gas-Grill-in-Black-E3072/300498549
Reviews are good on Amazon so we'll see....
If nothing else I like the nod to old school style and I know one thing for sure, it won't be any worse than the monstrous shimmering pile of stainless garbage I have right now that will decorate my curb as soon as this one comes in. :mmph:

Post a review, please. In the same boat and will follow your lead if it is a decent grill.

Back
Top Bottom