• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Are there any cheap gas grills that aren't....

I have one of the old Oklahoma Joe charcoal ones. It's a full 1/4" steel and I've had it over 20 years. It has a brass ta with a # on it and you can call them with that # and they will know who you are .
Yes, it is easy 200 pounds in dead weight. I could not lift it up to my deck. Left on the mulch by the deck.
Love it. Need to try the smoker next.

I've got a stainless steel Nexgrill 1 bought about 20 years ago at a Target clearance sale. The cast iron grates are finally giving up, but burners and body still seem sound. Five burner with side burner. It's definetly been worth the $250 I paid for it.
If I have to get a new one, it will be Nexgrill.

Hard to find a gas grill that is worth anything. Tractor Supply has one for $599 that looks really good. Don't know brand.

Just gonna keep using my weber kettle for now. Both of my sons have green eggs.

I have the char griller duo that does propane or charcoal. Don't put on the warmig racks, they rust fast even with a cover and end up dropping iron filings on your food. The flame guards rust quick too, but there is a fair amount of aftermarket parts for these on Amazon.
l bought mine about 4 years ago and it has been a good grill until this last weekend. I was cooking plank salmon with the propane side and left it unattended for 3 minutes. The plank flared and caught fire, when I came back out the paint was peeling, I burnt my hand with the cover handle, and the 3rd burner got so hot it melted and I couldn't shut off the gas. I had to turn it off and the tank, which, shocker burnt me as well.

For the most part been happy with it, probably my fault for walking off at the beginning. The thermometer is also crappy, mine stopped reading right a few years ago.

Attachments

• P_20190204_081929.jpg
    P_20190204_081929.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 15
I have the char griller duo that does propane or charcoal. Don't put on the warmig racks, they rust fast even with a cover and end up dropping iron filings on your food. The flame guards rust quick too, but there is a fair amount of aftermarket parts for these on Amazon.
l bought mine about 4 years ago and it has been a good grill until this last weekend. I was cooking plank salmon with the propane side and left it unattended for 3 minutes. The plank flared and caught fire, when I came back out the paint was peeling, I burnt my hand with the cover handle, and the 3rd burner got so hot it melted and I couldn't shut off the gas. I had to turn it off and the tank, which, shocker burnt me as well.

For the most part been happy with it, probably my fault for walking off at the beginning. The thermometer is also crappy, mine stopped reading right a few years ago.
If my grill turned on me and tried to kill me, I'd have to put it down.

All right I went with the one listed as "most durable" and linked above. Shockingly it was a good bit less at Home Depot (not in stock, had to order) so as it turns out it's even LESS than Hi Point money. :shocked: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Char-Gr...er-Propane-Gas-Grill-in-Black-E3072/300498549
Reviews are good on Amazon so we'll see....
If nothing else I like the nod to old school style and I know one thing for sure, it won't be any worse than the monstrous shimmering pile of stainless garbage I have right now that will decorate my curb as soon as this one comes in. :mmph:

Definitely post a review. My wife literally just cleaned up my giant charcoal grill/smoker I bought and I listed it for sale. A huge barrel offset smoker grill was probably a bit overkill for a family of three but I hated the idea of buying some cheap piece of garbage that would last a summer. I think I've finally seen the light and a small 2-3 burner will be perfect for us to cook on.

You want made in America quality but made in China price. Probably not gonna find it. Best thing to do is buy a good quality made in America Grill and take care of it and enjoy it for years to come.

Or buy the cheapest gas grill Walmart sells every year, just look at it as a disposable grill.

Buying some midgrade Chinese piece of **** is probably the worse option but what do I know.

We're the same kind of grill user and am in dire need of a new one that can also be switched to NG.

Subscribed.

Post a review, please. In the same boat and will follow your lead if it is a decent grill.

OK, a pre-update update. First off I'm a little confused. There appear to be 2 identical models. And oddly they appear to be even cheaper directly on their website (no idea about shipping). https://www.chargriller.com/collections/gas-grills I can't find a single thing on the specs that show what is different between the two models. Maybe sharper eyes can figure it out? The more expensive one has a different handle, is two pounds heavier shipping weight, and has some text on the front control panel. Other than that. :noidea:

Ok, on to the pre-review... read this review https://amazingribs.com/grill/char-griller-grillin-pro-gas-grill-review He does far more food test than I will. ;) It's the $20 more expensive model but I can't imagine there's any difference.

I received the grill a lot quicker than expected from Home Depot. Arrived Saturday. I assembled it yesterday. Assembly was very straight forward with almost no 'Engrish' at all. The quality is better than I expected given the price but it is not the cast I was expecting. The only defect is the igniter on the side burner doesn't appear to work. Simple enough fix and I'll call them today to send a new one or see if I'm missing something. This is apparently simply a charcoal grill they converted, which I like. But it is steel and of acceptable heft. I also like it doesn't have an open back like on many gas grills, so that should help with heat retention immensely. Countering that I have to imagine are the two stacks. Unfortunately there is no way to close them. That I'm sure could be an annoyance with flare ups. Two soup cans ought to fix that perfectly. Hey, I'm always function over form. ;) Hey, I have some black spray paint. :becky: Heat shields aren't heavy but I've never known any to be.
I did light it to burn off anything on the inside and then sprayed with no stick grilling spray yesterday. That thing gets hot and I mean REALLY hot REALLY fast. I've not doubt it absolutely will sear a steak and I mean in a hurry. :shocked: Low and slow 'might' be a different issue but obviously you can manipulate the number of burners depending on what you are attempting. It's narrower than my other grill by a noticeable amount but it's proportions are more deep and I like that for food placement. Other grills often felt a bit shallow to me.

Burgers and chicken tonight so I'll post after but I'm definitely cautiously very optimistic.

Back
Top Bottom