• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Are there any Toyota Master Techs in the house?

H2O MAN

Default rank <4500 posts
ODT Junkie!
55   0
Reaction score
I have a 2007 Tundra with the 5.7L V8 that exhibits a HOT restart problem when air temperatures rise above 88 or so. The Dealer (Heyward Allen in Athens) swore that it was the fuel pump & a bad key chip, both were replaced at a cost of $900.00. This did not fix the problem, they can't duplicate the issue and there are never any codes.

What could be the problem?

Get an OBD2 dongle and download "torque" for your smart phone.

Put it in real time mode and watch what is happening as you try to start.

The dealership can't fix it as their people don't have the proper training and refuse to take the time to find the real problem.

File a claim in small claims court for your $900, that is outright theft.

There is now way you had a bad key AND a bad fuel pump.

What? They didn't tell you your tires have expired use by dates? No wonder it won't start, you need new tires!

Also, if it is a dealership, file a complaint now with Toyota. They have factory field reps for just this sort of situation. Your next move is a face to face with the factory guy.

Get an OBD2 dongle and download "torque" for your smart phone.

Put it in real time mode and watch what is happening as you try to start.

The dealership can't fix it as their people don't have the proper training and refuse to take the time to find the real problem.

File a claim in small claims court for your $900, that is outright theft.
I bought a Bluetooth OBD2 scanner called "BlueDriver" to diagnose issues with my F150. Wasn't throwing any codes, but was able to read the Mode 6 diagnostics and determine which cylinders were occasionally misfiring. A lifesaver!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I will give the dealership one good faith opportunity to refund my money, if that fails - I will file a claim in small claims court.
Some advice I got from a friend - when having this type of work done at a dealership, watch the wording on the work order. Here's how some play the game:

You describe your problem to the service writer. The service writer responds with "that sounds like a problem with the fuel pump." Then he writes the work order to say "replace fuel pump, replace filter, replace etc. You sign the work order. So, instead of the order describing the problem to be diagnosed and repaired, it doesn't mention the actual issue. It just indicates a list of work with your signature for approval. Check the wording on your work order. That's what they'll use against you in court.

The way to protect against this is to make sure that the work order only describes the issue to be diagnosed and repaired. Don't sign/authorize anything that prescribes what the repair should be until you feel comfortable that they've done their due diligence.

There is now way you had a bad key AND a bad fuel pump.

What? They didn't tell you your tires have expired use by dates? No wonder it won't start, you need new tires!

Also, if it is a dealership, file a complaint now with Toyota. They have factory field reps for just this sort of situation. Your next move is a face to face with the factory guy.[/QUOTE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Try this next^^^^^^^^^I have dealt with Auto Maker Mfger Reps before in the past and they have ALWAYS made the dealerships do the right thing.

Back
Top Bottom