• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Are there any Toyota Master Techs in the house?

I worked in the automotive industry for over 32 years, we use a program called identafix, that tells us what are the most common fixes with a certain problem. So with little diagnosis it gives up you most common fixes. Someone needs to drive the vehicle multiple times with a scanner on it , reading multiple systems till something comes up not right. They won't do it, because they have other unknowing customers to screw

I bought a Bluetooth OBD2 scanner called "BlueDriver" to diagnose issues with my F150. Wasn't throwing any codes, but was able to read the Mode 6 diagnostics and determine which cylinders were occasionally misfiring. A lifesaver!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

This is exactly what I am talking about. There are several different apps and different brand bluetooth dongles, but they do the same thing.

Current "mechanics" can't find a problem on their own any more, they depend on the computer to tell them what to replace . On a new car, it usually works. After a couple years on the road, no workie like it used to.

If rats chew your wires, guess what? The computer has no clue what is wrong, just it isn't communicating with the sensor, actuator, etc. But the "mechanic" will replace all those items first to see if it starts working again.

Chewed wires are just one of many ills non-new cars endure.

Sounds like a fairly tricky problem. I HIGHLY recommend you call ToyoTechs in Chamblee and explain the situation. They will obviously want to see the car but you can at least ask them straight up if they will charge you only for actually fixing the car, and you can expect them to give you a straight answer. These guys are very trustworthy. I've been going there for years. It's worth at least giving them a call. And They only use oem parts and charge significantly less than the dealer.

You need to know if the fuel pump is actually running
And to know if the ignition is sparking and the injectors are working

That's the three things that could cause a hot start issue

When you switch on the ign but don't turn the key enough to run the starter , the fuel pump should run two seconds to pressurize the system

Some vehicles have a easy to do modification that runs the pump longer to clear out the fuel in the rails that has been heated up from sitting

Does it crank fine When it's not hot ?

Yes.

The issue materializes ONLY when air temperatures are close to 90, or above.
And ONLY after it been running, and parked HOT for a few minutes.
The first start-up on a HOT day is just like any other day - no problem.

So when it's hot does the starter turn the engine over as when cold but the engine won't fire ?

Or does the starter turn it over slowly or not at all ?

If you can replicate the hot start issue easily
It shouldn't be too hard to figure out

Pull a spark plug wire and stick a spare plug in it and lay it on the engine block
Crank it and see if it sparks

Buy a "noid" light , which plugs in place of a fuel injector and lights up when the injector is supposed to be spraying fuel

And get a fuel pressure gauge and install it on the fuel rail (there should be a valve like on a car tire to hook the gauge to )

When you first switch it on , the pump should run a couple of seconds and shut off to pressurize the system

Maybe the pump is running but not long enough to clear out the air bubbles caused by the heat
Or maybe the pump isn't runnin at all

That's the three things to check first
With all the computers and sensors There could be lots more stuff causing it but that's the three most likely things

You gotta have fuel pressure and Spark and injection at the right time

I had a Cherokee that would let the system pressure leak down
And had to run the pump a bit to re pressurize the system
A pressure gauge on the fuel injection rail will show what's happening with the pressure

Although the dongle and software will also show what the engine computer is seeing , so that's also something you need to get ,

Back
Top Bottom