Default rank <400 posts
Survivalist
33   0
Reaction score
I have a box of 100 rounds (357 magnum SWC) that look like this:

[Broken External Image]:

I pulled the bullet from one of them and it looks like this:

[Broken External Image]:

The bullet is 158 gr and the round was filled with 4gr of powder per my Ohaus scale. The box says 4 gr Bullseye.

Is there a problem with the way these bullets are seated in the case?

The issue is the charge compressed, if it's not then i say it's probably ok (if the load data is correct) but the first groove at the front of the bullet is the crimping groove. Yours is crimped just beyond the far edge, not optimal, but is it safe? Again compression of the charge is the issue and can lead to really high pressures. The over all length (OAL) max is 1.590 and is to insure your rounds don't bind by sticking out of the cylinder as far as a minimum there is none that I'm aware of for .357 Mag but often is for the bullet your using and the type of powder used.

Last edited:
Alliant lists the 158gr LSWC as 4.8gr Bullseye MIN OAL 1.57. So I would at least check the OAL with your calipers.
Actual OAL is 1.477". That's almost exactly 0.1 inch short, which -- coincidentally or not -- means the interior volume is the same as a .38 special round would be if crimped at the recommended point on the bullet.

With only 4 gr of Bullseye, the inside of this bullet was mostly air, by far.

So to me it looks like it should be equivalent to a slightly hot .38 special -- maybe in the range of a .38 +p. Which ought to be safe in a 357 magnum. But I don't really know, which is why I asked ;-)

Probably close enough, now for a 38+P Alliant lists 3.9gr Bullseye, Min. OAL 1.44, so more like you said a HIGH LOAD 38+P, not sure what you'd have going on with the Pressures though. I don't load with Bullseye. I do have a question about the Nice Close up picture of the Nickle Brass though. Looks like a couple small Cracks in the side or are they just scratches? Remember also Nickel Brass Usually doesn't last as many reloads as Regular Brass or at least in my experience.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom