• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Are used PSA ARs selling anymore?

Learn how to clear a "Bolt over ride" and "double feeds", I haven't looked on you tube, but I'm sure there are vids of how to do it correctly...
View attachment 1021309

This is a bolt over ride w/ a double feed...
* the best way to clear it is to put a flat head screw driver, or leatherman type tool, on the bolt face, and pull back to the rear...
Please note, this will very hard to do, and what ever you do, DO NOT pull on the charging handle, or "hammer" the weapon on the ground, this will just make it worse, and it will be in there tighter than nuts on a new bridge.
Had one once, these are the worse!

It will sell for what it is worth. If you overvalue it, no it will not sell. You can get a decent PSA for $500 brand new and most people block that out of their mind when they go to sell their gun used.

PSAs don't move well around here because people think assembling the gun and shooting it somehow adds value. It does not.

I have a question for the experienced operators. Without getting into the "which is better" argument, a better (less controversial) question is what types of failures have you seen or experienced personally in the field? What features would you recommend I spend extra money on or avoid.

Most failures are from, the lack of lube, ( I run all of my AR's "wet" with CLP ) Or mag related, even brand new mags, can cause failures. If you have a bad mag, just throw it away, I've seen tons of mags be re-issued, with "bad" written on it. I tell everyone in my class to smash flat any mags that give them problems on the range, then turn it in to the supply Sgt.

*P.S. - not a operator, but I have spent a lot of time on the range.

It's a buyers market now the colt is moving in the 800-850 range and the psa in the 450-500 range.

You can upgrade now or wait until your PSA gets back to the 700 range but at that point the colt will likely be back in the 1200's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chrome lined barrels are a minus, not a plus...to me, anyway. The chrome adds material inside the rifling and lessens the accuracy. It doesn't change it much, but there's no benefit in changing it any. It was added during the Vietnam war due to prolonged exposure to moisture causing corrosion. If you plan on spending a long time in a jungle sleeping in leaky tents, then you might benefit from a chrome lined barrel. Personally, I'd rather not have it.

Not to be picky, there are a couple of statements here that need to be clarified
/ corrected.

First, chrome lining does not change the size of bore. Barrels that are to be chromed, are actually overbored to compensate for the layer of chrome. Yes, they generally tend to be less accurate than an unlined bore. But unless you're shooting a scoped rifle, I'd wager that 99.976% of shooters could not recognize the difference. Certainly not with a red dot, which is how most guys are setting up their carbines. And I've owned some fantastically accurate chrome lined barrels. In fact, Colt barrels, especially the heavy profile (M4A1) barrels are exceptional. Arguing "better accuracy" is just mental masturbation for the vast majority of AR owners.

Second, regarding the history of chrome lining in the AR. It was originally designed by Eugene Stoner with a chromed bore. The ammunition and powder were also specifically chosen for the new platform. Then, the Army decided to cut costs. They deleted the chrome and substituted a different powder that they already had in inventory. Then they issued the guns without cleaning kits. The rest is history. It was an utter failure. There are historical photos of guys with cleaning rods taped to the side of their rifles to clear stuck cases in the heat of battle. FAIL. And that's how the myth of the unreliable AR came to be.

Very quickly, they identified the issues and corrected them by adding the chrome requirement back to the gun, changing the ammunition, issuing cleaning kits and clp.

Finally, chrome does more than just prevent bore corrosion. Most importantly, it adds significant wear resistance to the bore and greatly extends barrel life. This is because the chrome plating is much harder than untreated steel.

Not to be picky, there are a couple of statements here that need to be clarified
/ corrected.

First, chrome lining does not change the size of bore. Barrels that are to be chromed, are actually overbored to compensate for the layer of chrome. Yes, they generally tend to be less accurate than an unlined bore. But unless you're shooting a scoped rifle, I'd wager that 99.976% of shooters could not recognize the difference. Certainly not with a red dot, which is how most guys are setting up their carbines. And I've owned some fantastically accurate chrome lined barrels. In fact, Colt barrels, especially the heavy profile (M4A1) barrels are exceptional. Arguing "better accuracy" is just mental masturbation for the vast majority of AR owners.

Second, regarding the history of chrome lining in the AR. It was originally designed by Eugene Stoner with a chromed bore. The ammunition and powder were also specifically chosen for the new platform. Then, the Army decided to cut costs. They deleted the chrome and substituted a different powder that they already had in inventory. Then they issued the guns without cleaning kits. The rest is history. It was an utter failure. There are historical photos of guys with cleaning rods taped to the side of their rifles to clear stuck cases in the heat of battle. FAIL. And that's how the myth of the unreliable AR came to be.

Very quickly, they identified the issues and corrected them by adding the chrome requirement back to the gun, changing the ammunition, issuing cleaning kits and clp.

Finally, chrome does more than just prevent bore corrosion. Most importantly, it adds significant wear resistance to the bore and greatly extends barrel life. This is because the chrome plating is much harder than untreated steel.

I never said it changes the bore size. I said it changes the depth of the rifling...and it does. For me they are target plinkers. I'm not going into any jungle warfare that I'm aware of...so I couldn't care less if it has it or doesn't. I'm sure stainless steel barrels are superior in some ways, but I wouldn't have one on an AR just because they don't look right to me...again...plinker. I'm not an operator.

Back
Top Bottom