• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Are we alone in the universe?

Considering that light from some stars that we are currently seeing is over 1 million years old, to think that life/civilizations have not come and gone before our earth had even cooled off, is almost ludicrous.
To even consider we are the only life in the universe would be egotistical at best.

This^

You're right. I just meant that they should admit to the public that they do have definitive proof of other life.

I have no problem believing that they don't have that proof. The technological difficulty of interstellar travel is staggering, so it would not surprise me at all if there were millions of advanced civilizations that have never conquered it. Even if they have, why would they be interested in coming to earth. Hell, we aren't even serious about going back to the moon or ever getting to the other planets in our own solar system. Think about it. The MORE advanced civilizations there are out there, the LESS significant ours is to everyone else. The thought that they would have a driving need to visit or contact us is just as arrogant as the belief that we are the only intelligent life. I know I use this word a lot when discussing this type of thing, but "insignificant" fits very well and the only reason we don't realize it more easily is because humans have no shortage of ego.

Universe? I"M NOT EVEN ALONE IN THIS ROOM!!!

Oh...wait...it's only the wife.

AMIGOD! The wife's an ALIEN!!!

but then ALL wo-mens is aliens..ain't they?

I agree with Bear. Even if they have concured intersteller travel, the time it still would take to reach us is very long. According to physics the speed limit in the universe is 670,616,600 mph ,about 300,000,000 meters per second, and at that incredible speed it still would take 26 years just to get to the closest star to us. Another advanced civilization may have intersteller travel abilities but it may not be fesible for them to reach us just because of the vast distance between our two worlds.

Back
Top Bottom