• No

• Shut up, no one cares.

Results are only viewable after voting.

RexProcer

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
2   0
Reaction score
I know there are a lot of us here that are big into space and the universe. I am one of those as well. What I haven't seen is a thread dedicated to talking about what we know about our universe, and some of the controversial theories that some of us believe to be true. So, I thought, why not make one? I'll get started.

First off, I believe its crazy to think we are the only sentient beings in our universe. Roughly 200 billion galaxies each with roughly 200 billion stars. Even if us being here is one in a billion....or trillion...what about quadrillion....septillion? No matter how you look at it, 200,000,000,000*200,000,000,000 is a lot bigger than any of those numbers, so who are we to think we are so special and significant that we are the only ones out there? We've already seen how insignificant we are in the scheme of the universe. Just my thoughts, agree, disagree?

Tin foil hat time. My favorite part. I'm sure most of us that have an interest in this have heard of the theory of the multiverse, and I believe that this theory is true. Think, just a few hundred years ago we were convinced the Earth was flat and that you'd fall right off when you got to the edge. Not until the late 18th early 19th century did we accept that we actually orbited a star, and were simply a lowely planet. And only now are we discovering the vast emptiness that is our universe, and our place in it. With all of that said, is it so crazy to think that there are other universes out there, just like ours, with perfect conditions for life? Hell, we can only look with any sort of detail up to 1000 light years from us. The milky way alone is 100,000 light years across, and that's just one of 200 billion galaxies. We have no idea whats out there, therefore it would stand to reason that there are other universes out there that we could never see or get to.

I'm going to post this as a poll, because I'm curious to see how many of us believe there is life out there and how many don't. I don't judge anyone for holding a differing opinion from mine, even if I am very convinced of what I believe.

Statistically speaking, it's a long shot that only one planet out of a mathematically troublesome number has life at all, let alone the incredible diversity of life that we only recently have begun to understand. Each time we think we have life defined, it seems that we find a new form of living entity existing in conditions that defy normal boundaries. I don't think we can possibly grasp the conditions under which life can or might exist in a single poorly measured universe. I say poorly measured because we don't yet have the technology to measure it well.

Have we been visited? Who knows? It's certainly not the least probable reality in space-time.

Need to add a "Maybe" and a "Taco" option..
Hmm, the taco option sounds tempting...
Statistically speaking, it's a long shot that only one planet out of a mathematically troublesome number has life at all, let alone the incredible diversity of life that we only recently have begun to understand. Each time we think we have life defined, it seems that we find a new form of living entity existing in conditions that defy normal boundaries. I don't think we can possibly grasp the conditions under which life can or might exist in a single poorly measured universe. I say poorly measured because we don't yet have the technology to measure it well.

Have we been visited? Who knows? It's certainly not the least probable reality in space-time.

I agree with that. I think that the way we think of life, requiring water and oxygen to survive, is probably unlikely to occur anywhere else. Maybe other intelligent life requires ammonia to breathe, or maybe even an acid of some sort, who knows. The life that is out there, as you said, is probably very different from what we know of, or how we predict it to be.

I'd say it's pretty close minded to believe there isn't the possibility of life on another planet. It's far more probably than improbably that there was. I say "was" rather than "is" because there is a far higher mathematical probability that another civilization arose and blinked out of existence before the earth was even formed than there being one currently. The numbers are still there and it wouldn't surprise me to learn there is at least one other civilization in out own galaxy let alone the universe. Hell, there evidence there have been great civilizations on this planet more than 12,000 years ago that we have little no idea of other than a few purposely buried stone monuments.

Back
Top Bottom