Votes: 15 42.9%
  • No

Votes: 8 22.9%
  • Tacos

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • Depends

Votes: 7 20.0%

• Total voters
We go junk rummaging around the house every 5 years or so and donate or throw away a dumpster full of stuff. Both of our fathers (Wife and mine) kept everything forever. I think it comes from growing up poor and when things weren't so easy to access. If I haven't touched it in five years, I don't feel like I need it. Back in the day though, you never knew if you'd need spare parts off of something so you kept everything. Now I can order the exact screw I need and have it here tomorrow.
It's sad that we waste so much and appreciate so little. I'm guilty and I hate it but my house isn't full of bull**** either, so there's that...
Yeah, and a lot of people that grew up during the great depression saved everything. Could not afford to waste anything when you can barely afford to eat.

It is true that the folks that grew up during the Great Depression seem to see value in nearly everything.
It's very difficult for them to throw away stuff.
My grandmother had a ball of string, I'm sure the first couple pieces inside went back to the depression.

Sometimes I feel like we throw too much away. When was the last time you had a TV fixed?
I know we fixed them in the old days.....

Cleaning out my in-laws house was a monster! Both grew up during the depression and they lived in the house over 60 years. Though it was not a bit dirty, it was crowded. You couldn't even throw away a book or piece of clothing without checking it thoroughly, there was money tucked in all kinds of places.... Must have been a really tough time to make a lifetime impression upon them....

What's right is probably somewhere in the middle.

For a large portion of my life I was in the military and moved every 2 or 3 years. There were strict weight limits on what I could ship in my houehold goods so I constantly had to get rid of stuff. When I retired and realized that no one could make me prune my belongings I started not throwing anything away. I still don't. I can find a place for anything and no one can take it away from me. So, I guess I am a hoarder but the military made me that way.

For a large portion of my life I was in the military and moved every 2 or 3 years. There were strict weight limits on what I could ship in my houehold goods so I constantly had to get rid of stuff. When I retired and realized that no one could make me prune my belongings I started not throwing anything away. I still don't. I can find a place for anything and no one can take it away from me. So, I guess I am a hoarder but the military made me that way.
My uncle retired Army 24 years. He’s the same way he won’t sell anything anymore

Back
Top Bottom