• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Argue for Mandated Training So As To Exercise a Basic Civil Right

Status
Not open for further replies.
You did, however, draw the comparison to driving training, did you not? If the implication was not that it would be similar to firearms training, why draw the comparison?

Yes I did compare the two and yes they are similar but I don't see why I need to pull up a statistic. I compared the two because both can be misused and cause death. One needs to pass multiple tests to obtain a drivers license, why shouldn't firearms be the same?

If driving was a constitutional right would there be an uproar about all the restrictions that we have?

All i know is every time i walk into a gun store the clerk at the counter (usually just spewing anything to make a sell) will just tell someone complete BS about a gun for self defense. There are just too many factors when choosing a Home Defense/Carry Gun to not try to educate people in some way who have little to no Gun Experience. And i would bet you there are plenty of people that take that gun home, load the mag, and stick it in the bedside drawer or glove compartment. Thats why i don't go to public ranges 99% of the time. People need to be taught about guns and gun safety. Whats the best way to do that? thats the million dollar question. All i know is Common sense, and heck i would almost go as far as Gun Sense are a rare comodity these days.

All i know is every time i walk into a gun store the clerk at the counter (usually just spewing anything to make a sell) will just tell someone complete BS about a gun for self defense. There are just too many factors when choosing a Home Defense/Carry Gun to not try to educate people in some way who have little to no Gun Experience. And i would bet you there are plenty of people that take that gun home, load the mag, and stick it in the bedside drawer or glove compartment. Thats why i don't go to public ranges 99% of the time. People need to be taught about guns and gun safety. Whats the best way to do that? thats the million dollar question. All i know is Common sense, and heck i would almost go as far as Gun Sense are a rare comodity these days.

I don't disagree that there are a lot of people who own guns and should not. But who draws that line?

Would you be ok with having to go back and take a class now? And pay for it?

I don't disagree that there are a lot of people who own guns and should not. But who draws that line?

Would you be ok with having to go back and take a class now? And pay for it?

to be honest im torn 50/50 on the issue. but i'll just use texas as an example. they require a CCW class, basic at best. i looked around online and found come classes around $100-120ish. just to see what a CCW class was about since Ga donst require them.

would i be willing to spend $120 bucks to take a class about stuff thats second nature to me if i knew that it could possibly educate more people and possibly prevent ND's or even Accidental Death to just a bystander? maybe. just maybe it might be worth it.

I mean the CCW fee here in Ga seems to rise every year anyway right? What if the state said take a CCW class and you wont have to pay the CCW fee for for your first card or next one if you already carry. What is it 5 years? just maybe it might work

dont only the good guys follow the laws anyway? Not saying i would be happy with it but who knows.

Yes I did compare the two and yes they are similar but I don't see why I need to pull up a statistic. I compared the two because both can be misused and cause death. One needs to pass multiple tests to obtain a drivers license, why shouldn't firearms be the same?

There you go again...you're making the implication that training would make people safer in the same way that driving training makes safer drivers. Great...so show us some evidence that this is the case. If you don't want to make that claim, then don't draw the comparison between two unrelated things.

If driving was a constitutional right would there be an uproar about all the restrictions that we have?

Who knows? People would undoubtedly think differently about it. That's a rather large hypothetical question to tackle based on what we actually know about the issue, though.

There you go again...you're making the implication that training would make people safer in the same way that driving training makes safer drivers. Great...so show us some evidence that this is the case. If you don't want to make that claim, then don't draw the comparison between two unrelated things.

Really? You need statistics to tell you that doing something repeatedly IE. training would give a person more experience and thus make them safer at doing said thing? Why do LEOs have to go through an EVOC if not to train them to drive safely? Why do safety training courses in general exist if they don't make people safer? If safety training courses don't make for safer operation why spend the time and money on providing them? How would someone who has no firearms experience know how to operate firearms safely? Not everyone is the sharpest tool in the shed and if you're seriously arguing this then common sense as we know it really is dead...

Who knows? People would undoubtedly think differently about it. That's a rather large hypothetical question to tackle based on what we actually know about the issue, though.

Show me a statistic that shows people would undoubtedly think differently about driving regulations if driving is a constitutional right.

Last edited:
In the last oh 4-5 years.

South Carolina: There were two unrelated shootings by instructors(at least 1 was an LEO) in mandated training class that were non-life threatening.

Georgia: There were two unrelated shootings by instructors(both were POST certified) in LE training classes that both resulted in death.

Some of you guys need to read this, then re-read this, to let it sink in what Jeff is saying.

These are facts that are very hard to dispute. GCO (you and I), have been working very hard to stop any mandated training issues in Georgia.

Facts do not lie. State (Government) mandated training laws, in general, do absolutely nothing to promote safety.

They are great revenue generators, though.

Jerry

You could train everyone in this country and you would still have accidental gun deaths. we are all going to die one way or another. Everyone should grow a set of balls and quit expecting big brother to make them safe. That is the problem with this country everyone expects the government to make them live longer and better lives. I am scared to die, lets give everyone healthcare; I am scared to die and guns kill people, lets ban the guns; Im scared to be poor, lets redistribute the wealth. It is all a bunch of BS, we need to start accepting that it is our personal responsibility to change what we can to improve our lives not the government. End of rant have a nice day and grow some balls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom