• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Armor: Where to souce a Level 3A composite plate?

and OP armor is a trifecta... Weight, price, protection. You can pick any two.

if you're dead set on rifle protection, check out RMA 1003. Level IIIa+ which basically means all pistol and some rifle.

I work in a school and I carry a Vertx EDC backpack with Premier soft armor. it's sized to fit soft armor that's level III. Weighs like 2 pounds and I can't really tell it's there because it has it's own compartment in the back. I have carried the bag around town, flown with it, and it's my over night bag, too. Soft armor that lives in a backpack is easier than a plate, I've tried both. The plate was smaller and shifted around, plus heavier.
I'm not invincible obviously but good enough coverage and I can wear it in the front or back, depending what I'm doing, and some armor in my office beats the PC in the truck.

If you're setting up something like this you should also consider real medical. TQs, gloves, bandages, etc. I've had people hit by cars, fall down stairs, cut themselves, etc on campus but (so far) no actives.
Already addressed medical myself, plus we have an actual ER RN on staff.

OP here. As to the level, I'm just sort of assuming a shooter will gear up with an AR or AK. Why would he not? Not really expecting much pistol or big rifle rounds. Heck not really expecting anything, but if...I'd rather be prepared. If it goes anything like the Buffalo shooting, protected center mass won't help me anyway though.

OP here. As to the level, I'm just sort of assuming a shooter will gear up with an AR or AK. Why would he not? Not really expecting much pistol or big rifle rounds. Heck not really expecting anything, but if...I'd rather be prepared. If it goes anything like the Buffalo shooting, protected center mass won't help me anyway though.
It's a balance in choosing armor and incorporating into your life. Currently, 99.something% of gun murders happen with a pistol. Rifles kill fewer people than hammers every year. *(and vending machine kill more people than sharks but that's not exciting news). Basically rifle based active shooters are newsworthy BECAUSE they are so rare. While it's something to consider, statistically it's pretty low on the list.

I went pistol only for my bag because it was the difference between something and nothing. Plus with how many students here have backpacks, I'd anticipate there's handguns in a few of them. so that struck me as the biggest threat. Are there rifles in cars nearby? again probably, but my first defense is running the F away. My second is the Combat Troodon I carry. Not to stab anyone, but it's got a big glass breaker, so even if there's no emergency escape I can make one through any window and run away.

to be effective, Armor has to be rated for what it's being shot with AND you need to have it cover your important stuff AND it only covers vitals AND it has to be on you when you need it. Level 4 in the bag in the truck cause it's too heavy to carry is useless. Level 3 you're wearing and coworkers see and think you're a nut and you get fired is also not helpful. So it's really finding a balance. Personally I have my bag MOST places on campus with me but not in the bathroom, and I could still get shot in the face.

where are you located? I'd be happy to let you try out or see what I have and see if you like it.

It's a balance in choosing armor and incorporating into your life. Currently, 99.something% of gun murders happen with a pistol. Rifles kill fewer people than hammers every year. *(and vending machine kill more people than sharks but that's not exciting news). Basically rifle based active shooters are newsworthy BECAUSE they are so rare. While it's something to consider, statistically it's pretty low on the list.

I went pistol only for my bag because it was the difference between something and nothing. Plus with how many students here have backpacks, I'd anticipate there's handguns in a few of them. so that struck me as the biggest threat. Are there rifles in cars nearby? again probably, but my first defense is running the F away. My second is the Combat Troodon I carry. Not to stab anyone, but it's got a big glass breaker, so even if there's no emergency escape I can make one through any window and run away.

to be effective, Armor has to be rated for what it's being shot with AND you need to have it cover your important stuff AND it only covers vitals AND it has to be on you when you need it. Level 4 in the bag in the truck cause it's too heavy to carry is useless. Level 3 you're wearing and coworkers see and think you're a nut and you get fired is also not helpful. So it's really finding a balance. Personally I have my bag MOST places on campus with me but not in the bathroom, and I could still get shot in the face.

where are you located? I'd be happy to let you try out or see what I have and see if you like it.
Your logic does seem sound. What kind of pack/armor do you use? (My youngest daughter is in college, and likely needs a new backpack...)

It’s on the left

Attachments

• F2AC4E9D-B941-4597-8915-18E96E61E357.jpeg
    F2AC4E9D-B941-4597-8915-18E96E61E357.jpeg
    287.8 KB · Views: 14
Boot71 Boot71 its a Vertx Ready Pack with Premier soft armor that’s custom made for the bag.

Not tactical looking and has not raised any eyebrows at work or traveling.
Well, now ya done sent me down the Vertx rabbit hole. Those packs tend to get really good reviews. And the exact fit iiia panel is a nice touch.

Back
Top Bottom