• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Army’s new sidearm

I know we might be beating a dead horse here, but I have some serious questions:

1) what other pistols besides Glock and Sig were in the competition?

2) why did the army choose the Sig? Better accuracy? Reliability? Cheaper? More modular and accomadating to different sizes?

3) what would you have chosen given the options?
Price, period. Same reason FBI went to Sig Romeo Red Dots.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Military pistols are always about the logistics and cost over everything else.

Pistols used to simply be a badge of rank, and officers had to buy them themselves. After WWI most military's realized that there was some, very limited role for pistols on the battlefield, but in most cases the military still thinks of them as a last ditch weapon that doesn't have any real military significance.... and they are right 99.999% of the time.

Honestly, SIG had by far the best 'story' here, with their completely modular chassis system and their low-cost bid. And they are made in New Hampshire. The whole process was theirs to lose.

Personally, I find the P320 about 50% of the pistol my FN FNS 9 is, but compared to the old M9 this is Valhalla.

Aint nuttin wrong with the M9.

Sure there is. It's too freakin' big and fat. Doesn't fit a lot of people's hands.
Especially women, asians, South Americans, and other persons of small stature.
The grip is as thick as a 2x4 board and it's a long reach to that trigger in DA mode.

Military pistols are always about the logistics and cost over everything else.

Pistols used to simply be a badge of rank, and officers had to buy them themselves. After WWI most military's realized that there was some, very limited role for pistols on the battlefield, but in most cases the military still thinks of them as a last ditch weapon that doesn't have any real military significance.... and they are right 99.999% of the time.

Honestly, SIG had by far the best 'story' here, with their completely modular chassis system and their low-cost bid. And they are made in New Hampshire. The whole process was theirs to lose.

Personally, I find the P320 about 50% of the pistol my FN FNS 9 is, but compared to the old M9 this is Valhalla.
I agree it’s not nearly going to be used or relied on as much as a rifle, but you’re not considering the over 20k special operations soldiers we have that rely on these pistols for covert missions, transitions, etc. also the MPs.

Back
Top Bottom