• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Army M24

But who buy's a custom 308 with 1-11.25 twist rate? Something like this should at least have a 1-10 or 1-9 to shoot heavier bullets.

If I had this kind of scratch for a rifle, i'd splurge on a 338 Lapua.
11.25 twist has become the norm in custom 308's. It will stabilize 150's to 200's no problem. I shoot 185 Bergers in mine 11.25 twist 308.
Who want's to shoot anything bigger than that in a 308 anyway. Actually the 175 bullets stabilize better at distance than anything heavier.
Evidently you don't do much long range shooting.

11.25 twist has become the norm in custom 308's. It will stabilize 150's to 200's no problem. I shoot 185 Bergers in mine 11.25 twist 308.
Who want's to shoot anything bigger than that in a 308 anyway. Actually the 175 bullets stabilize better at distance than anything heavier.
Evidently you don't do much long range shooting.

You got me there, I haven't gotten to shoot long distances with my "factory" 308 win that has a 24" barrel with a 1-10 twist. But I know I've seen more high dollar long range .308 rifles with 1-10 twists than 1-11.25.

It may be splitting hairs but "IF" I were to purchase something this expensive i'd go with the faster twist & anything else but Remington. It's nicer to have that option to be able to shoot 190-200 gr. bullets if I were so inclined to do so & know I won't run into issues with the slower twist rate. Which by the way, I have about 300 bullets of 190 gr Sierra Matchkings that I plan to load up one day when I have access/time to visit a shooting range that actually has some range to it. Also plan to try out some Matchking 155 Palma bullets as well to see how they compare.

Also quick search on a competitive shooting website show's a mix of opinions of yours and mine. So you could say we're both right or both wrong.

No way would I trust that slow a twist when I’m shooting subs, not worth risking a can. You’re not going to overstabilize and velocity lost is in the order of 2-5fps. Ideally the bullet should be matched with the barrel but a 1:10 is a better match for commercially produced ammo, especially those in the 175+ category. Shorter barrel would be adding yet another reason to opt for 1:10. We can debate this here but it’s been beaten to death on the SH with the results to back it up. There is always an optimal for every bullet, but if you’re looking to check boxes with the majority of scenarios the 1:10 is a better choice.

Back
Top Bottom