• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Army Vet Denied a gun

RamRoddoc

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
62   0
Reaction score
Misdemeanor simple possession is simply NOT a disqualifier for anyone as long as it is a state charge with a 2 year or less potential jail sentence or a fed 1 year or less. And NCIC records would reflect that, he is not telling the entire story (no gov opinion given) or it is a major admin screw up that will be fixed, and has to. The law has not changed. I can't imagine a federal drug charge against a 17 year old that far back so something is wrong with this story.

I had an employee whom had a state misdemeanor possession of cocaine charge that was not disqualified and bought and sold over the counter weapons all the time.

Last edited:
Must have been felony possession. Up to 2 ounces is a class B misdemeanor in TX (meaning you don't have your rights stripped from you over something that grows/is grown on every continent.)
Class B misdemeanor won't prevent you from buying a firearm, but it will gum up the process of getting a FFL license.
But yeah, he probably got turned down for being a vet anyhow, not because of the weed.

But yeah, he probably got turned down for being a vet anyhow, not because of the weed.

I'm betting he was one of the group that sought psychiatric inpatient care or was treated (committed or declared incompetent) to a VA hospital and they dumped his name to NCIC.

Last edited:
Misdemeanor simple possession is simply NOT a disqualify anyone as long as it is a state charge with a 2 year or less potential jail sentence or a fed 1 year. And NCIC records would reflect that, he is not telling the entire story (no gov opinion given) or it is a major admin screw up that will be fixed, and has to. The law has not changed. I can't imagine a federal drug charge against a 17 year old that far back so something is wrong with this story.

I had an employee whom had a state misdemeanor possession of cocaine charge that was not disqualified and bought and sold over the counter weapons all the time.
this is what i was thinking. I was charged with a few misdemeanors when i was younger. Never involving drugs but i still read up on the laws before getting my ga weapons license. Got to be more to the story.

I dunno, I think i might know more people who have smoked the devil's weed than I know that drink. DEFINITELY know more pot smokers than cigarette smokers-especially the younger folk.
Some might even be gun owners! We're doomed!

Back
Top Bottom