• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Arsenal AKs gauging the market

just wondering how many people have arsenal Aks for sale. Ive been thinking about buying one for a while but have to sell some things.

IMO Arsenal isn't all they're cracked up to be. Definitely don't buy one without eyeballing it first knowing exactly what to look for when doing so.

If you're dead set on a quality AK go with a parts kit and have a reputable builder assemble it or buy one directly from them. Here's a few.

http://www.tworiversarms.com/Services.htm

https://pieceofhistoryfirearms.com/

http://www.jbiarmory.com/

http://www.neverenoughguns.com/

But if you must purchase one from a major retailer I would go with https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/. They're known for great customer service. You can even buy an Arsenal from them if you just have to have one.

Interesting that you say that. I agree that they do run high in price and supposedly they have the best fit and finish but I've seen one beside a Norinco and not been able to see much difference. At then end of the day nothing I buy is a safe queen I buy it to use it I just figured I'd try to find the best one I could.

Keep an eye on the AKOU Arsenal 5K round test. If it fails there could be a tear in the space-time continuum, and Arsenal fanbois all over the country will freak out and dump their AKs at drastically reduced prices... :becky: Arsenals are good, but they're a little over-hyped, and over-priced, in my book.

Since the import ban on barreled parts kits, finding a parts kit with an original hammer forged chrome lined communist barrel is going to be tough....and pricey. All of the $500 parts kits around today have a new US made chrome lined barrel, which won't be hammer forged by the way. By the time you buy a receiver, about $60, and pay a good builder to put it all together about $250.......you will have somewhere north of $800 dollars in the final product. An over $800 AK with a US made barrel would be a no go for me. But I admit I am a bit biased when it comes to hammer forged AK barrels.

For a little more money and a little patience you can find a made in Bulgaria/Russia/China/Yugoslavia/Romania 922r compliant made mostly in the motherland AK.

Before I bought a parts kit, I would shop around for a neutered Saiga and buy the evil parts and have it converted.

I disagree with KERTWOOD KERTWOOD a little on the Bulgarian AKs. I think the Bulgarian AKs are on par with other communist versions available out there and come as close to pure AK goodness as you can get these days without dropping some major money on a pre ban Norinco, Yugo or any other of the few versions from other manufacturers that made it before the ban. If you are willing to wait on a good deal, used Arsenals pop up from time to time at decent prices...even on the ODT.

Good luck in your endeavor.

Since the import ban on barreled parts kits, finding a parts kit with an original hammer forged chrome lined communist barrel is going to be tough....and pricey. All of the $500 parts kits around today have a new US made chrome lined barrel, which won't be hammer forged by the way. By the time you buy a receiver, about $60, and pay a good builder to put it all together about $250.......you will have somewhere north of $800 dollars in the final product. An over $800 AK with a US made barrel would be a no go for me. But I admit I am a bit biased when it comes to hammer forged AK barrels.

For a little more money and a little patience you can find a made in Bulgaria/Russia/China/Yugoslavia/Romania 922r compliant made mostly in the motherland AK.

Before I bought a parts kit, I would shop around for a neutered Saiga and buy the evil parts and have it converted.

I disagree with KERTWOOD KERTWOOD a little on the Bulgarian AKs. I think the Bulgarian AKs are on par with other communist versions available out there and come as close to pure AK goodness as you can get these days without dropping some major money on a pre ban Norinco, Yugo or any other of the few versions from other manufacturers that made it before the ban. If you are willing to wait on a good deal, used Arsenals pop up from time to time at decent prices...even on the ODT.

Good luck in your endeavor.

I agree about the Bulgy AK's, whether Arsenal-branded or others--They are great-quality guns, and stay true to Mikhail's design for the most part...I've had a coupla' Bulgy Arsenals and four or five Russian SGL Arsenals, and would put them about even in quality, and very close to the TOP in quality when comparing US-legal AK's.

I would also disagree with an earlier poster about the overall quality of the Saiga SGL-based Arsenals--In my experience, they are GREAT guns, well-made, more accurate than most and reliable in the extreme--Having said that, they DO HAVE a coupla' weak areas--Everybody knows about Arsenal LV's uneven external finish quality, and then there's their CRAPPY 922r-compliant Triggers--NEVER met one I liked or could live with, and while it DOES "Gripe My Ass" to hafta' do something to the Trigger on an expensive AK right outta' the Box, $30 worth of Tapco G2 makes it ALL BETTER--LOL!

IMHO, EVERY AK that's been imported here has SOME weakness--On the vaunted Chinese AK's, for instance, they didn't even COUNTERSINK for the Rivets prior to shootin' em & buckin' 'em! In theory, those thicker Receivers will WEAR OUT faster because of that... :) ....mikey357

Back
Top Bottom