• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Arsenal AKs gauging the market

batoncolle batoncolle Youre probably right they'd freak. CQB27 CQB27 Yeah good deals come around. I want to think with trump in office some of the import stuff will clear up but its really just wishful thinking cause it probably wont happen.
If it does (the import stuff) clear up, and we see 100% brand new parts kits minus the receiver again for $150......Well, I won't miss out again, lol.
Not likely.....But we can dream.

batoncolle batoncolle Youre probably right they'd freak. CQB27 CQB27 Yeah good deals come around. I want to think with trump in office some of the import stuff will clear up but its really just wishful thinking cause it probably wont happen.

If we can even get Saigas coming back in, prices will drop on AKs. Anything beyond that would be very nice indeed.

CQB27 CQB27 , Bulgarian parts that Arsenal offers isn't the issue with me. Bulgy parts are as close as one can get to the mother land with out finding Tula or Izhmash. Arsenals QC and customer service department is where I have an issue.

As for the the CHF barrels are concerned. The kits containing them are a thing of the past unless import laws change or you want to spend the premium. So, you might as well get used to American made barrels. Even the Barrels that Arsenal sell are drying up due to restrictions

CQB27 CQB27 , Bulgarian parts that Arsenal offers isn't the issue with me. Bulgy parts are as close as one can get to the mother land with out finding Tula or Izhmash. Arsenals QC and customer service department is where I have an issue.

As for the the CHF barrels are concerned. The kits containing them are a thing of the past unless import laws change or you want to spend the premium. So, you might as well get used to American made barrels. Even the Barrels that Arsenal sell are drying up due to restrictions
I hear you man.
As far as getting used to US made barrels......not for me. Fortunately for me I got in the AK game before barrels became an issue. Like I said I am biased toward original chrome lined hammer forged barrels, so much so that I would rather not own an AK at all than own one with a broach cut barrel. It's a little strange I know, but the way I roll, lol.

Vepr, Bulgy Arsenal, properly DIY converted Saiga, then everything else, as far as I am concerned. Preban Norincos are out of my reach.
I agree, no chrome lined hammer forged barrel, is a no go for me. Bimetal bullet in AK ammo makes harder barrels a must in AKs.

Of the Arsenals I've owned, my favorite was the SLR-95. Not a US assembled parts gun, with a Steyr CHF/CL barrel. Even with that, the two I owned were not as accurate as any of the Veprs I've owned.

I hear you man.
As far as getting used to US made barrels......not for me. Fortunately for me I got in the AK game before barrels became an issue. Like I said I am biased toward original chrome lined hammer forged barrels, so much so that I would rather not own an AK at all than own one with a broach cut barrel. It's a little strange I know, but the way I roll, lol.

I completely understand with you position on the matter and I'll agree that CLCHF barrels are more durable and a better overall option than the alternative US barrels. It's just I don't shoot enough for it to really matter and the collecting aspect of it doesn't affect me either because I don't particularly look at my hobbies as investments on how much I can turn them for a profit at a later time. So in my situation having a AK with a US barrel or CHF barrel is non issue as I'll never wear out either of the barrels in my lifetime nor will 95% of the people in the firearm community IMO. But, for people like yourself that must have a CHF barrel there's options even in todays market. While it may not be the original to the kit it's still CHF.

http://armsofamerica.com/polishfbra...skitandorqty3andreceive1000offeachbarrel.aspx

http://www.k-var.com/shop/AK-176B.html

OP, im my original post I was simply stating that I would rather buy a parts kit and barrel and have it assembled than to purchase a Arsenal or any other AK without finger banging it first knowing exactly what to look for. For instance, things like crooked installed front trunnions, crappy unseated or poorly installed rivets, canted rear sight block, gas block and front sights just to name a few. Not to mention on the the serious side of things I'd like to check headspace if at all possible. I've been bitten by that big name high dollar AK dog once and it won't happen again. The first and last Arsenal I bought was a Factory built SBR I waited 6 months for and when I went to pick it up I was not pleased to say the least. After getting it home the more I looked it over the worse it became. I sent it back and they still didn't fix it to my standards of what I think a $2000+ AK should be. Overall it looked like a one handed Monkey with a hand drill and hammer assembled the barrel assembly and the rivets isn't something to brag about either.

My Experience in that particular instance was kind of a God send if you ask me. It motivated me to travel down the parts kit and building path. Also hearing every so called gunsmiths complaining about how hard AKs are to work on fueled the fire even more for me to learn for myself. From now on I build/assemble my own from kits on one of three receivers which are 74ullc, Childers or NoDak. That is until I start bending flats and heat treating my own. If I run across something I can't do I farm out work to someone one who can that has a strong reputation for doing so.

Just trying to bring light to the OP about the big named (Arsenal) built AKs. While the parts may be origin correct and of good quality doesn't mean that the person assembling it that day didn't come in to work with a F*** it attitude. Inspect it first before purchasing is the moral of my story.

Good luck on your endeavor OP.

Poorly assembled Factory Arsenal 104ur SBR I speak of with new correct 1 in 6 twist American made Bluejack barrel awaiting thread job and assembly.

Attachments

• 20170115_113053.jpg
    20170115_113053.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 12
Back
Top Bottom