• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

AS IS / NO WARRANTY - Am I ****ed ?

Lesson here is always run the carfax and have a competent mechanic inspect the vehicle before you buy it and never sign and buy a vehicle from a dealer when they say they will fix it later

Tell em to fix it and call you when it's done and if you haven't purchased another vehicle by then you will come back and re inspect this one

Some places are good and some are not

We bought s used VW from the dealer in snellville and inspected it (I'm a pretty decent mechanic ) but the check engine light came on a few miles after we bought it

We immediately drove it back and they gave us a loaner car and they did $2200 in repairs to a car we paid $3500 for and they didn't have to , sale contract clearly said AS IS .

Part of the inspection you should do when look IMG at a car is to check the codes in the computer
The check engine light may not be on but it may have codes stored

Lesson here is always run the carfax and have a competent mechanic inspect the vehicle before you buy it and never sign and buy a vehicle from a dealer when they say they will fix it later

Tell em to fix it and call you when it's done and if you haven't purchased another vehicle by then you will come back and re inspect this one

Some places are good and some are not

We bought s used VW from the dealer in snellville and inspected it (I'm a pretty decent mechanic ) but the check engine light came on a few miles after we bought it

We immediately drove it back and they gave us a loaner car and they did $2200 in repairs to a car we paid $3500 for and they didn't have to , sale contract clearly said AS IS .

Part of the inspection you should do when look IMG at a car is to check the codes in the computer
The check engine light may not be on but it may have codes stored

We had the Carfax and had already identified the issues and had them documented before signing, the dealer gave their word they'd fix every issue, they did. No "competent mechanics" had the time to stop what they were doing to "look" at the vehicle, most mechanics like being paid.

Reactions: VME
I looked at a few cars at the Duluth ALM, some obvious condition problems with some, (for the price). A company that'd put them on the lot like that didn't inspire confidence.

It's a good idea to have it checked independently, but you have to pay for the mechanic to do it.
You have to schedule an apt, a mechanic isn't going to drop what he's doing everytime someone looking at a vehicle to purchase wants it inspected. I know because I just went thru it
We tried to have the vehicle inspected and of the 10 or more places we went not a single mechanic would "inspect" it...not one

You have to schedule an apt, a mechanic isn't going to drop what he's doing everytime someone looking at a vehicle to purchase wants it inspected. I know because I just went thru it
We tried to have the vehicle inspected and of the 10 or more places we went not a single mechanic would "inspect" it...not one

I agree. I have a local guy I could run a car to. Otherwise you need to arrange it and hope the car is still on the lot when you can schedule. Not always very practical.

I agree. I have a local guy I could run a car to. Otherwise you need to arrange it and hope the car is still on the lot when you can schedule. Not always very practical.

Well yeah you gotta pay em

When I bought 18 wheelers I'd pay my favorite mechanic to go check it out

Good money spent to hear your mechanic say "can't find anything major wrong "
Or
"I wouldn't buy it at half that price , it's a total POS"

I still wouldn't drive off in a car even if they had promised in writing to fix it later

You're gonna have to go back to drop it off and get it fixed

Why not save a trip and have it fixed before you sign the sales contract ?

Well yeah you gotta pay em

When I bought 18 wheelers I'd pay my favorite mechanic to go check it out

Good money spent to hear your mechanic say "can't find anything major wrong "
Or
"I wouldn't buy it at half that price , it's a total POS"

I still wouldn't drive off in a car even if they had promised in writing to fix it later

You're gonna have to go back to drop it off and get it fixed

Why not save a trip and have it fixed before you sign the sales contract ?

It's fixed

It may have already been stated here but I'll say it anyway. There's no 3 day/7 day/10 day whatever law in Georgia. Once you pay the money and sign the paperwork it's yours. The lot you got it from MIGHT choose to make it good but they legally don't have to. Any decent lot would at least offer to trade it back for something in a similar make and price range.

Back
Top Bottom