• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Asking for input - .22 bolt action rifle for kids

Cadcom

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
504   0
Reaction score
I'm open to input. Looking for a bolt action, wood stocked, tube fed or mag or single shot .22 rifle that groups well at 25 - 50 yds and can be easily handled by 10-12 year old young men. They currently shoot my Buckmark pistol and their Rossi single shot rifle well and can load the mags and hit what they aim at withing reason. I would like to pick up a Ruger M77 in .22lr with a fixed 4x scope but was wondering if there were some other options out there? They are ready to shoot at longer ranges and completely satisfied with bolt action or single shot rifles. (at least so far). Anyone have a lead on an old savage or stevens bolt action they want to sell or is there a better option out there?

The Ruger American seems like a descent weapon. They make it with the wooden stock, but I mostly see the synthetic.

There was a descent looking Marlin mod 25, 22 S,L,LR, at the Bass and Antler last week. $175.00.

A lot of the older 22 bolts didn't have scope mounting capabilities. I have a couple of Rem mod 34 that are great shooters, but no scope.

There was a savage advertised for sale in Athens, for 120.00. You might could have him ship it for a little extra.

Maybe a Marlin XT-22LR @$174.05 wholesale? Probably about $200 retail? Don't over look the lowly 795 either. Outfitted with TechSights they make fine training rifles. Used 10/22s are plentiful and fun. I don't know about Canton but here they run right at $180 - $200, used in great to new condition and there isn't much you can't fix on one.

If they haven't been yet, they are the (here I go with the broken record thing) perfect age for attending an Appleseed event. They'll learn the fundamentals of three position military marksmanship and the six steps of firing the shot. Take the two day course when you can (usually a Saturday and Sunday) you will not regret it.

we were all raised on Marlin 60 but your ammo cost will go up with semiauto. The savage rascal is impressively accurate (but a bit small)

Thanks for the input everyone. The Ruger may do the trick. I def need to slow down ammo consumption. They can run through it pretty quick with the Buckmark.

Back
Top Bottom