• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Asking for input - .22 bolt action rifle for kids

My son has always shot his Marlin 60, not a bolt action but a great rifle for a kid and affordable. The ammo issue is easy, give him x amount in 50 rd boxes and that is it for the day. He uses a charter arms 22 revolver so that slows down consumption some.

I have found a new Ruger American at a LGS. Price is $269.00 - anyone purchase one new? Is this price in the ballpark? Doesn't seem to bad to me but I live in fear that i paid more than the last guy that bought one. :)

IMG_20160705_0917248_rewind.jpg
IMG_20160705_0917136_rewind.jpg
A 10/22 makes a great first .22. I got my granddaughter one for her eighth birthday and she love to shoot it. She is now about to turn fourteen and I have her a new talon tiger edition for her birthday next month. There is a device called a bolt block that makes a 10/22 into a single shot. Great job on teaching your kids to shoot and safely handle a gun!!

View attachment 863027 View attachment 863028 A 10/22 makes a great first .22. I got my granddaughter one for her eighth birthday and she love to shoot it. She is now about to turn fourteen and I have her a new talon tiger edition for her birthday next month. There is a device called a bolt block that makes a 10/22 into a single shot. Great job on teaching your kids to shoot and safely handle a gun!!

They shoot pretty well with irons now. I think they are ready to stretch it out a little more and have always been interested in my bolt action deer rifles. Hard to beat a 10/22 though. When one of them found an old spent fmj round on the ground the shooting stopped until they found some more!

20160806_164958.jpg

When you decide they are ready for something larger than a .22 you might want to look at a .243 cal. Relatively mild recoil (especially in an auto) but powerful enough for deer hunting. I used a .243 Remington 7400 for many years and harvested quite a few deers with it.

When you decide they are ready for something larger than a .22 you might want to look at a .243 cal. Relatively mild recoil (especially in an auto) but powerful enough for deer hunting. I used a .243 Remington 7400 for many years and harvested quite a few deers with it.

That's what I have currently and is a great choice. Their grand dad bought a Rossi for my oldest with the 3 barrel setup. .22lr, 20 ga and a .243 barrel. That thing is so light that it is punishing to try and shoot anything other than the .22. I tried to shoot a dove with the 20 ga one time - never again!

That's what I have currently and is a great choice. Their grand dad bought a Rossi for my oldest with the 3 barrel setup. .22lr, 20 ga and a .243 barrel. That thing is so light that it is punishing to try and shoot anything other than the .22. I tried to shoot a dove with the 20 ga one time - never again!
LOL! Yeah light weight is great when you are carrying one through the woods but not so great when shooting it.

Bought the grand kids some old Remington Bolt Action Rifles. Not only great shooters but it is something they can pass on to their kids.

Back
Top Bottom