• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Assistive Listening Device wanted

Klif

Air Force Icon Supporter
ODT Junkie!
31   0
Reaction score
So, I'm old, at 71 my hearing is pretty much shot. I wear hearing aids in both ears and when I take them off night the TV volume suddenly gets really quite and my wife mumbles everything she says. So, life with hearing aids is fairly bearable, but at church last night for Bible Study, I realized that even though I'm sitting less than 5 feet from the speaker I can't hear or understand most of what he is saying.

So, long time ago I worked for Georgia Council for the Hearing Impaired in Decatur and we had some assistive listening devices that were battery powered and had an amplifier, a microphone and an earplug and they increased volume quite a bit (at the time I wasn't as Deaf as I am now). I am looking for something along that line that will amplify the sound and maybe cut out some background noise. I am not going to buy an FM loop where the transmitter sits at the podium and the receiver is in my ear. That's obtrusive and pretty expensive.

Anyone currently using a device like that and if so, what is it and where did you get it? Amazon sells some but they range from very cheap and 1 to 0 stars and very expensive that has 4 out of 5 stars. I don't want to spend a ton on something that may or may not help.

I'm currently OK with the TV since most shows are captioned and if I turn them way up my wife takes the remote away and turns it way down but the captions are good and I'm learning how to spell a bunch of new words.

Just as an aside, if I meet you at a gun show or meet or sale and it doesn't look like I'm paying attention to what you are saying, it's just because I really don't hear you or understand you.

Happy St. Patricks Day

I to have hearing aids and still like the Closed Caption option on my TV. I like mine because it has it's own WIFI, I can answer the cell while across the room from it. I have noticed that what they say on TV is not often what closed captions shows..

I to have hearing aids and still like the Closed Caption option on my TV. I like mine because it has it's own WIFI, I can answer the cell while across the room from it. I have noticed that what they say on TV is not often what closed captions shows..
I too have noticed that the closed caption scrolling along the bottom is not always quite correct from the bits and pieces I do hear. I'm amazed at some shows where there is a lot of cussing that I see the cussing scrolling across the screen. When I watch youtube videos I often have the captions on just so I can understand but a lot of it is not captioned.

I have an issue with the people who advertise on TV and don't caption their products. The item they are selling is often not clear with some means of knowing what is being said. They do a disservice to them selves, their perspective buyer and the product they are selling.

I'm still no closer to finding an device to help me understand. I'll be buying new hearing aids in the next month or so but I need some short term help now.

My pop used amplifiers from Sam's or Wally World for the last 5 years of his life that cost roughly $50 per pair, worked great, better than his prescription hearing aids but hurt the wallet for replacements.

I have been meaning to buy a friend a pair.

My mother is 91 now and has been through a couple of diff types of hearing aid and amp.
Ones that were cheap to a $2k one.
It’s ridiculous.
I think her second amplifier worked , i will find out what i can. She is still in hospital and is supposed to go to rehab this week. I will talk with her this morn as norm, and i will see if she remembers.

Back
Top Bottom