• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

ATF Form 5320.20 - Moving permanently to a new state

I can't give you legal advice on your specific situation involving what actions you are about to take.

I've moved intrastate first, and notified ATF later. Is that the best way? I donno.

Will ATF care if you do the same thing in your interstate move? I donno. They would not think it's legal but would they think it's illegal enough to give a rat's ass? To make a federal case out if it? Especially if the violation is 100% purely a violation of their administratively made rules and procedures and has no explicit authority in the NFA & other gun laws passed by Congress? I don't know. Don't they have bigger fish to fry what with Glock switches, silencer kits labeled as solvent traps, bumpfire stocks, ghost guns, and now SBR's with braces?
I would hope so.

Not taking legal advice, THIS answers my question. Thank you.

My only additional comment would be this, captured from the October 2019 version of the 5320.20 form.

1678547160280.png

Note in paragraph "a" that no mention is made of silencers, while a number of other types of NFA items are listed/enumerated.

We all know this is all bull****, but it seems to me that the ATFs own documentation is inconsistent on the matter of what should be notified, and what the requirements are.

Edit: - not a lawyer, don't play one on TV, this isn't proposed as a defense if you're prosecuted etc. Just sayin'.

My only additional comment would be this, captured from the October 2019 version of the 5320.20 form.

View attachment 5462230

Note in paragraph "a" that no mention is made of silencers, while a number of other types of NFA items are listed/enumerated.

We all know this is all bull****, but it seems to me that the ATFs own documentation is inconsistent on the matter of what should be notified, and what the requirements are.

Edit: - not a lawyer, don't play one on TV, this isn't proposed as a defense if you're prosecuted etc. Just sayin'.

But is it “illegal”? 🤔

I always understood, and everything I've ever heard, is that you didn't have to fill this form out for suppressors. They just had to be legal at both ends of the trip.

I always understood, and everything I've ever heard, is that you didn't have to fill this form out for suppressors. They just had to be legal at both ends of the trip.

You might be right. Thinking back about it, the guy at my LGS wasn't the most reliable of sources. I did get the proper paperwork back from the ATF eventually, so they might just have been humoring me.

OTOH, Silencer Shop seems to think you do.

All the more reason I will never own a NFA item. Seems mighty unconstitutional to have to notify the government and receive permission when you decide to move because you are forced to follow an unconstitutional bs law like the NFA.

I won't let stupid laws keep me from owning what I want.

If you don't own NFA because it's too much of a hassle... they win.

Back
Top Bottom