• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

ATF Looking To Restrict Pistol Braces!

Social media is exploding with people chasing clicks by hysterically reporting that the ATF is about to pass a new ruling making anywhere from 700,000 to 2m people felons over night, but this is a false narrative. I don't know if people are purposely twisting the information for controversy and views, or if they just don't know what they're talking about.

The article linked to in this post is about the most level headed and accurate post I've seen by the "gun media" thus far. In essence, nothing has changed and nothing is going to change anytime soon with regards to the legality of pistol braces. I've also spent a good amount of time today on the phone with the CEO of SB Tactical discussing what's happening.

It is true that since the Obama era there is a group within the ATF that is out to cause all sorts of havoc. They've been the rabble-rousers and anti-gunners in the organization for over a decade. There is another group that opposes them. However, since Trump has not be able to appoint a solid ATF director for his entire 1st term as President, these anti-gun radicals are running around unchecked.

With that said, Trump did do something potentially pretty epic with executive orders in 2019. In essence, he made an attempt to reign in these rogue alphabet agencies who twist the law in ways it was never intended to create new laws through "reinterpretation". This is commonly known as "chevron deference" and it's a big issue within government circles. Eventually this will make its way to the SCOTUS. Until then, Trump's EO's prevents agencies like the ATF from making new laws by twisting their "interpretation". The ATF knows this, which is why they have done things in the shadows vs. making public policy changes.

*Some of you have raised an important point, so let me further explain the EO's. They weren't specifically for the ATF, they were to reign in ALL alphabet agencies and the ATF just happens to fall into this group. Trump didn't do it to save the 2A, he did it for other reasons but it serves our cause. This was done after the bumpstock debacle which we're still suing over.*

*Some of you have raised an important point, so let me further explain the EO's. They weren't specifically for the ATF, they were to reign in ALL alphabet agencies and the ATF just happens to fall into this group. Trump didn't do it to save the 2A, he did it for other reasons but it serves our cause. This was done after the bumpstock debacle which we're still suing over.*

It's true the ATF has tried to charge people for using pistol braces in a handful of cases, but every time the ATF's assertion the brace was in fact a stock has been dismissed by the judge in the case. These are the actions of the troublemakers in the ATF I talked about above.

In reality nothing has changed with the legality of pistol braces since 2015. There are no pending changes to the ATF's position that they are NOT stocks.

So why did Congressman Gaetz and others send the note to the ATF telling them to stop it and to the DOJ asking for a review of the ATF's actions? Because they are strong 2A representatives and they're doing their job in protecting our rights. However, it does not mean that braces are secretly illegal or that you will be going to prison for owning one. It also doesn't mean there is some pending rule change coming that will make them illegal, at least not anytime soon. If Republicans lose control of the White House and Senate, then we will definitely have something to worry about with regards to our 2A rights in general in this heated political climate.

Meanwhile, please read the article from TTAG. Don't get amped up by clickbait "news" stories and PLEASE, don't start firing off thousands of letters to the ATF about braces. As we've seen previously, this can backfire. Let's work through Congress and the courts because we stand on the right side of the argument and we actually have two Executive Orders on our side.

Great post. You gotta take YouTubers with a grain of salt... after all, they get paid by how many clicks they get and if they can get all the drama queens to freak out they make a lot more $.

As mentioned above, braces will be here until they aren't. While we all know it's a 'workaround', but it's a perfectly valid one and makes a lot of sense in a lot of cases.

It lets you legally use that pistol while waiting for SBR forms to clear.

It lets you not waste $200 on every gun you want to try as an SBR.

It allows you to cross state lines and sell the gun easily without ATF approval.

It allows you to save the cost of the stamp, since a good brace and a good stock are pretty close to the same price if you shop around.

Even if SBRs had no paperwork attached the whole brace idea (a minimalist stock) would still be with us. Look at the Luth-AR company. They've built a whole brand of minimalist stocks that are not really different than braces.

Both braces and SBRs are just as illogical from a regulatory standpoint.

The fact that taking an AR pistol and adding a stock to make it less concealable is illegal is simply ridiculous on it's face, no matter what shape that stock is in.

The only reason that we even have SBR/SBS regulation is because the NFA was supposed to ban handguns, and they didn't want people cutting down rifles and shotguns. They pulled out handguns but left the rest of the nonsense about SBRs in place, still causing confusion almost 100 years later.

Ok.... I guess if you come out the gate looking for the most expensive option. There are A LOT of cheap options.

PDW stocks cost the same as a PDW brace

actually, price didn’t enter into the decision (I do have a couple of Shockwave blades) Just looking for the one I thought would work best on this build.

PDW stock = rifle
PDW brace = pistol

Had to adjust my screen.on my lap top . SWEET!!!!!!

thanks man. I think she looks even better without that brace

0D9A726D-85AB-4C49-8D63-540BD132876E.jpeg
16FA4872-5869-4FD6-AED6-B5692F5294EE.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom