• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

ATF no longer giving status updates

righter13

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
25   0
Reaction score
Just called to check the status of a Form 4 and got a pre recorded message that stated:

"Due to high submission volume current wait time is approximately 6months. If your submission has passed the 6 month mark please leave a detailed message and we will get back to you with in two business days."

Well that saves me a call. I had to correct a paperwork problem a couple of weeks ago and they told me it would be another week. I've been trying to ignore it, but I am not a patient person.

Hopefully it didn't go from 3 month wait to 6 month wait in the course of a couple weeks. I know a couple guys with late November submissions have received their approvals so I hope I'll get mine at least by this month.

I don't get the whole "calling about status" thing. Especially if you are less than 2 months in.

I was happy to go from purchase to can in hand in just over 3 months on my first one. I will be just as happy if the next two happen in the same time frame.

I would also bet that there are a lot of folks "investing" their tax returns in NFA items ahead of the 41p decision which is contributing to the problem.

What I don't understand is that with today's technology, why it takes 3-6 months to review and approve the damn paperwork. Especially for those us who already have approved stamps. Just run the trust through a comparator program and if nothing has changed, and there are no errors on the Form 4, stamp the damn thing and mail it out. Doesn't seem that hard.

Back
Top Bottom