• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

UPDATE 10/3 - Injunction covers all FPC members - ATF publishes their pistol brace rule

Who the **** is hare tigger..?
Is she cute
1675477435463.gif

Look...look at my pistol! It's a grower not a shower.
Definitely safer....and thanks to the retards in the AFT, it's much more concealable. ****in' idiots.

View attachment 5303860

Unintended consequences and all that...Izzat' a Strike Industries Pistol Buffer Tube? Asking for a "Friend"--LOL!

A lot of folks already had illegal AR pistols... if your lower was ever paired with a rifle upper, it's a rifle forever. And if you bought that lower as a rifle on the 4473, it's always been illegal to put a short-barreled upper on it. Probably millions of those out there... hint-- you should have bought the lower as a "firearm"-- savvy dealers sold 'em that way, but 90% of buyers probably had no idea about the ramifications of what was typed into that box.
I have to comment on a couple of points here that are not accurate. For one, if it started out as a pistol it can be changed to a rifle and back to a pistol at will so the remark that if it has ever been paired with a rifle upper is not accurate. You should have said that if it was first built as a rifle it must always remain a rifle.
Second, a dealer marking the description incorrectly on a 4473 does not change the actual designation of any firearm. That is just a mistake on the dealers part. If I get a shotgun in here and mistakenly mark it as a rifle that does not make it a rifle. If you buy a stripped lower it is just a stripped lower regardless of what the 4473 says. If you are concerned about it, take a picture of it when you buy it so you can later prove it was just a receiver, which is the correct way of marking it. Receiver in one spot, other in the other spot. I have never heard of a dealer marking a receiver as a rifle. I know some dealers would mark it as a pistol if it it is marked as a pistol receiver as some manufacturers do but I don't believe even that is correct either. An FFL does not have the authority to change the designation of a firearm unless they are an 07 FFL and they actually manufactured it.

I have to comment on a couple of points here that are not accurate. For one, if it started out as a pistol it can be changed to a rifle and back to a pistol at will so the remark that if it has ever been paired with a rifle upper is not accurate. You should have said that if it was first built as a rifle it must always remain a rifle.
Second, a dealer marking the description incorrectly on a 4473 does not change the actual designation of any firearm. That is just a mistake on the dealers part. If I get a shotgun in here and mistakenly mark it as a rifle that does not make it a rifle. If you buy a stripped lower it is just a stripped lower regardless of what the 4473 says. If you are concerned about it, take a picture of it when you buy it so you can later prove it was just a receiver, which is the correct way of marking it. Receiver in one spot, other in the other spot. I have never heard of a dealer marking a receiver as a rifle. I know some dealers would mark it as a pistol if it it is marked as a pistol receiver as some manufacturers do but I don't believe even that is correct either. An FFL does not have the authority to change the designation of a firearm unless they are an 07 FFL and they actually manufactured it.
Well my apologies. I have been misinformed. Thanks for the clarification-- I actually heard this all from an FFL in the process of such a transfer.

Well my apologies. I have been misinformed. Thanks for the clarification-- I actually heard this all from an FFL in the process of such a transfer.
For all practical purposes the 4473 is just a bill of sale in case the dealer has to show what he did with the firearm (disposition). If it is recovered as stolen property or otherwise turns up at a crime scene the ATF can call for a trace. I have had traces in the past where the ATF said it was a rifle shipped from PSA on a particular date and gave me the serial number at which point I informed them that is was a stripped receiver when I sold it. I have no idea what the buyer did with it. All they know is what they have in their possession. Not necessarily what it was sold as.

Back
Top Bottom