• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

ATF using some local LEO to enforce Fed. gun laws

I'm not doubting that, but what would be the scope of the agreement that these officers are dedicated to ATF related tasks? I took it that the thing to recognize is that it may not be some ATF goon that knocks on your door, but Johnny Beatcop that you've known for some time.

I'm not doubting that, but what would be the scope of the agreement that these officers are dedicated to ATF related tasks? I took it that the thing to recognize is that it may not be some ATF goon that knocks on your door, but Johnny Beatcop that you've known for some time.
Ah, gotcha. Lol

both aint your friend if they are visiting you on official business

And some (many) Sheriffs had signed support of 2nd Amendment.

When it comes down to supporting 2A or upholding their agreement with ATF, they'll uniformly select the latter. Despite the obvious fact that 2A overrides any conflicting gun laws on the books, the ATF will seek to enforce the gun laws on the books, 2A be damned, and the LEO's will provide material and physical support of ATF and will NOT stand in the gap for Joe Citizen, in defense of 2A.

State and local le have been involved in assisting federal le since the FBI was formed in the 1920's. ATF, DEA, US Marshalls, DHS...they all employ state/local le on their task force/special unit payrolls. They also pay for it, including the salary and overtime for each officer, and often pay for vehicles, specialized equipment, dogs...blah, blah, blah. I find it interesting that the man in that video covered his bases by stating "If there is a memorandum that covers paying salary, we have not yet found it." At any rate, state/local le don't work for the feds for free., so the premise that the cost is absorbed by the citizens of Arizona is misleading. The cost is absorbed by every federal taxpaying person in America, mores the pity.

While the oath of office for everybody does include "Uphold the Constitution, enforce all local, state, federal laws, and protect against all enemies, foreign and domestic", federal law is beyond the jurisdiction of state/local le, unless empowered by some agreement between the feds and the state/local agency.

I am not a fan of state/local assets working for the federal government. I think the federal mission can be so far from what the state/local police are empowered by their citizens to do. It happens because the feds make it lucrative for state/local agencies, and many state/local officers are more than happy to volunteer because their equipment/pay will be significantly increased.

Back
Top Bottom