• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Athlon vs. vortex?

sub'ed for range report
The optics are still doing well , i just took it off my 300 RUM 100 plus rounds and put it on my 340 Weatherby if that dont break it or rattle something loose then i will be happy with it. It seems like a very good scope , but it is still heavier than any scope i own.

I've always subscribed to the notion that if your glass doesn't cost at least the same as your gun, you are not doing your gun justice. In fact, I often find a scope I want first and then buy a rifle for it. Do not underestimate the importance of good glass. I would take a high quality scope on a mid level rifle over a high quality rifle and mid level scope any day.

So, I picked up one of the mil/mil Argos BTR's for a 22 bolt gun out of curiosity. Haven't shot it of any consequence yet (sighted in at 35 yds), but hope to run it out to 250 or so Saturday. Being on a 22, should be able to easily test tracking. As far as clarity goes, meh. You can see, but it's picture isn't crisp and clouds up pushing the magnification up. Clarity is good for the price range I guess. We'll see how it tracks. I have good data on the round and is verified. Paralax adjust down to like 10 yds, so perfect on a suppressed 22 bilt gun for tree rat eradication and just some cheap training, if it works as it should.

I've always subscribed to the notion that if your glass doesn't cost at least the same as your gun, you are not doing your gun justice. In fact, I often find a scope I want first and then buy a rifle for it. Do not underestimate the importance of good glass. I would take a high quality scope on a mid level rifle over a high quality rifle and mid level scope any day.

Agreed!

I bought a Savage 110BA .338LM just over 2 years ago. I was looking for glass for it and all I heard was "Go Nightforce or go home". That was not gonna happen! Finally got the Athlon Ares BTR 8-34x56 mil/mil. Zeroed at 100 yards. Took it to 1,000 yds in four shots hitting a 12" plate. Next shooter rang the plate in two shots. I have since added the Athlon Argos BTR 6-24x50 mil/mil to a Howa 1500 in .308, Savage 10FCP-SR in 6.5 Creedmoor, Savage 11/111 in .300 WinMag and Saiga .308. I have not had the opportunity to stretch the four minors to max yet (but will in June), but all have held well in normal range shooting. The Argos had mushy turrets, but a solution to them was found by cleaning out the factory grease and relube with Sil Glide (which is now done by Athlon). There was also a solution for the lack of a factory 'zero stop' by adding washers.
AthlonScopes5.JPG

Have no experience with Athlon. Have had several Vortex scopes. Sent one back due to it not adjusting just to learn that I had overtightened the rings, which had pinched the tube where the erector was. No complaint on their part, sent me a new one, but took the time to check the adjustment on my old one and preset the new one back to where my old scope was. Sent it with instructions on what to torque the rings to, along with a vortex hat and t shirt at no charge. Vortex is great and is not expensive at all compared to many of my other scopes unless you get into their most expensive lines, even then though, I'm running two Nightforce scopes so..... You get what you pay for and if Athlon is much cheaper than a PST, there is a reason for it and I would stay away......If I want a cheaper scope and I don't want to pay for a PST, I look at Nikon and Leupold stuff. But thats me and my opinion based on my experience with Simmons, bushnell, BSA, Tasco, and several other budget scopes I have bought over the years. I buy Vortex and Nightforce now.

I bought a Savage 110BA .338LM just over 2 years ago. I was looking for glass for it and all I heard was "Go Nightforce or go home". That was not gonna happen! Finally got the Athlon Ares BTR 8-34x56 mil/mil. Zeroed at 100 yards. Took it to 1,000 yds in four shots hitting a 12" plate. Next shooter rang the plate in two shots. I have since added the Athlon Argos BTR 6-24x50 mil/mil to a Howa 1500 in .308, Savage 10FCP-SR in 6.5 Creedmoor, Savage 11/111 in .300 WinMag and Saiga .308. I have not had the opportunity to stretch the four minors to max yet (but will in June), but all have held well in normal range shooting. The Argos had mushy turrets, but a solution to them was found by cleaning out the factory grease and relube with Sil Glide (which is now done by Athlon). There was also a solution for the lack of a factory 'zero stop' by adding washers.
View attachment 1131326
An Athlon Ares, huh? They haven't been released yet. They also aren't going to be releasing them in the magnification you stated that you purchased.

Try again.

Funny thing is: when Vortex was first released they were on the low end of the spectrum price wise. I had one, traded it with a rifle cause I figured no one would want the cheap scope. LOL

Back
Top Bottom