• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Atlanta homeowner charged with murder after allegedly shooting stranger found sleeping inside home

Just as a clarifier, I'm not a lawyer, or an actor, so I don't even play a lawyer on TV, but to repeat what I noted earlier, GA residents don't even have the right to conduct a citizen's arrest now.

If you can't detain someone who is robbing your home or who was threatening you but then backed down from the attack and is no longer a credible threat, you KNOW that you're in a state that will definitely consider prosecuting you for discharging a firearm at a 'nonviolent' trespasser in your own home.

And if they'll do that, there's a good chance that unless you can absolutely defend your decision to shoot, you WILL end up being prosecuted.
A choice that we would have to make in a split second will be judged by others after the fact and under zero stress. We better train to make the right one.

when it comes to protecting my family or home! If the stupid s.o.b stayed out of the house we wouldn't be having this debate. I'm with the homeowner 100% on this one. If a stranger is in my house uninvited, call the cororner.
there was no one‘s family there, it was a vacant house.

homeowner could’ve just as easily backed away and called the law, he chose to enter room to room with a gun in his hand.(when/who called 911?.. did the homeowner call and report someone in this house?
Or was it after the shooting someone else called it in.?
APD investigators are determining from their statements, the man was “shot fleeing the house“ .

I predict this will not turn out well for Mr. (vacant) homeowner.

Following the recent change in GA law (HB 479) that makes citizen's arrests illegal,
I think this law will play a part in the prosecution. it’s possible that he would not have had any right to attempt to detain apprehend or hold anyone at gunpoint in a vacant house.. whether he owned it or not.

we will see, but I believe this law is a very dangerous and bad new law. But I’m sure it will be considered at trial.
The vacant homeowners should simply have dial 911 if he suspected someone was inside his (vacant) home

All this talk about what "you would do" in the situation is speculation, just like my "guess" as to what might have happened, based on the cops response. Got somebodies panties in a wad...
These are simply speculations and everyone is entitled to them...it's called the first amendment.
As for me, I know enough about what the law expects in a situation where you use a gun to kill another person and its plain and simply this;
You better be damn sure you had no other option ESPECIALLY including any possible way you could escape from someone threatening your life.

The problem we have is the people are not willing to take the law into they're hands. Entering someone's house uninvited should be a death sentence, even law enforcement is supposed to get a search warrant to enter private property. Everyone knows the difference between right and wrong, some folks just don't care.

The criminals are the bad guys and need to be treated as such. The law abiding citizen protecting their family and property are not the criminal.

The "law abiding citizen" protecting their family and property may indeed be a criminal under the law as it stands at the moment depending on exactly what he does and what the person in their home does.

What should be and what is are two totally different things.

Unlike a bunch of bloodthirsty keyboard
Rambos on this website I have actually had to had to deal with this scenario professionally as an attorney.

A drunk Mexican dude staggers into the wrong condominium at 3 a.m. It looks just like his, the place that he just moved to to live with his cousin a few weeks before.

There are a bunch of cookie-cutter homes and all 50 something units on that street look alike. His home was the middle unit of the next building over. The door was unlocked.

So Homeowner hears a clumsy noisy man barging in at 3 AM , looks downstairs to see a stranger in the living room, calls the police. Cops show up and find the guy unconscious and unresponsive on the sofa. While they're waiting for the ambulance to show up, the guy somewhat regains consciousness and asks what the cops are doing in HIS living room.

It really was an innocent mistake-- simple negligence. Nothing more.

Now would you really want to kill a guy like that? Is The world gonna be better off with one less-binge drinking Mexican who Cut your grass on Tuesday and hangs drywall on Thursday but gets falling down drunk on Saturday ?

Would you shoot him while he's sleeping on your sofa?

if you would, then would you take the time to put on your ear protection and safety glasses? How about pinning a target to the guy's chest to make it more likely you'll get his heart with the first shot?

BD38AFD2-354F-403E-9128-BD7E238D4CAA.jpeg

Don't forget to yell
"He's coming right for us!"
as you shoot the unconscious Mexican passed out on your sofa

Say it loud enough that your neighbors can hear you, and that'll be your defense!
( it's always good to manufacture your own evidence because in this world there's nobody that you can count on more than yourself.)

Back
Top Bottom