• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Atlanta NOT chosen by Amazon

Well that's a separate argument, but recall that Bezos bought The Washington Post (not the New York Times) with basically the change in his couch - $250 million, but he's the richest man in the world.... Money spent on lobbying efforts is a lot more effective than buying up and funding a newspaper these days if what you want is actual political influence (make no mistake, they do that too).

You are correct WAPO sorry , thanks for the correction.

However pandering and lobbying go hand in hand.
You sound like a politician , “change in his couch” to us poor folks it’s a significant investment.
Again thank you for the correction .

You sound like a politician , “change in his couch” to us poor folks it’s a significant investment.
Pretty insignificant when your NET worth is over $156 billion......he won't miss $250 million in the least bit.

This kind of tells you where Amazon will be focused... DC for the political lobbying and NY for the international-commercial aspect.

I doubt that the Delta/NRA spat had anything to do with it. Amazon is far less the typical Silly Valley Liberal Hothouse that most companies are. From everything I understand Bezos himself is semi-Libertarian, and Amazon invests to make money, not to make politician happy.

Their political donations are always directly tied to specific politicians advancing causes that are important to them, and they seem to be roughly a 50/50 split between parties, depending on whose in power.

Bezos is very much a 'do the job or GTFO' kind of guy from every interview I've heard him do, and Amazon doesn't have the same kind of hippy dippy corporate culture that places like Facebook and Google do. It's a lot like UPS from what I understand... They pay well but you work your butt off for it.

No argument whatsoever about lobbying. Somebody decided pay to play = free speech and I'm not sure I agree.

But the purchase of WAPO probably shouldn't be looked at as a significant investment in search of political influence by Jeff Bezos. Relative to his net worth at the time - which was climbing (obviously, he's the richest man in the world now) - it wasn't a big deal to him.

$250 mil would be a heckuva lot of cash to me too. And then some. But Bezos's net worth in '13 when he bought WAPO was something like $25 billion. So what's that, 1%? Which he made back in a matter of weeks anyway? He says he bought WAPO because it's a storied paper. So far I believe that.

I'm sorry ATL lost the bid. Would've been a lot of jobs and a lot of $.

Average wage of 150k!!!!!!

Does that mean like 5 people at 10million $ and the rest at 50k? 150k for 25000 workers, aint nothing going to be cheap on amazon any more.

These jobs were not warehouse employes putting Chinese **** into cardboard boxes. This is for white collar tech workers working on amazon.com and more importantly Amazon Web Services (largest cloud provider in the world).

While many may think this is political ... I personally don't think it was. This was all about access to the top young tech talent and the majority of the top computer science schools are in Virginia and northeast (outside of the west coast).

Making it an open auction for all of the various cities to apply was clearly a business move to get the best possible tax breaks. But they have known they wanted to be in VA and NYC for a couple of years now.

I interviewed there a couple of years ago and the place is full of cutthroat type A workaholics. AMZN is a capitalist as you can get, from who they hire down to how they compensate their employees.

This kind of tells you where Amazon will be focused... DC for the political lobbying and NY for the international-commercial aspect.

I doubt that the Delta/NRA spat had anything to do with it. Amazon is far less the typical Silly Valley Liberal Hothouse that most companies are. From everything I understand Bezos himself is semi-Libertarian, and Amazon invests to make money, not to make politician happy.

Their political donations are always directly tied to specific politicians advancing causes that are important to them, and they seem to be roughly a 50/50 split between parties, depending on whose in power.

Bezos is very much a 'do the job or GTFO' kind of guy from every interview I've heard him do, and Amazon doesn't have the same kind of hippy dippy corporate culture that places like Facebook and Google do. It's a lot like UPS from what I understand... They pay well but you work your butt off for it.

Pretty much this.

These jobs were not warehouse employes putting Chinese **** into cardboard boxes. This is for white collar tech workers working on amazon.com and more importantly Amazon Web Services (largest cloud provider in the world).

While you may think this is political ... I personally don't think it was. This was all about access to the top young tech talent and the majority of the top computer science schools are in Virginia and northeast (outside of the west coast).

Making it an open auction for all of the various cities to apply was clearly a business move to get the best possible tax breaks. But they have known they wanted to be in VA and NYC for a couple of years now.

I interviewed there a couple of years ago and the place is full of cutthroat type A personalities. They are a capitalist as you can get, from who they hire down to how they compensate their employees.
Since you quoted me, I never said anything about politics. I merely pointed out that a requirment for the breaks was a 150k average salary. Thats a large sum of money for 25k employees to average.

Back
Top Bottom