• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Atlas R-One install question

rmb clicks

Default rank <100 posts Supporter
Hunter
33   0
Reaction score
I purchased an Atlas R-One handguard and regular Aero upper from a local shop. It seems like the install went fine, but I could not get the fastener to line up properly.

One side is pulled in a bit, and the other side sticks out a bit
1641695605923.png

Couple more views, from the side:
1641695649323.png

1641695670962.png

In some Youtube videos I saw, it looks like the barrel nut was supposed to come with some shims, and there were none. (The barrel nut bag was torn open, so maybe it was not complete?). Anyway, one of the videos said the barrel nut had to be timed so one of the grooves is at the top, right under the gas tube. Mine is not timed, and the groove is offset a bit. I didn't worry about it, as the gas tube was clear of the barrel nut (I could see light between the barrel nut and gas tube). I'm wondering if the barrel nut does need to be timed for the handguard fastener, and if so, maybe that is causing the issue with the handguard fastener?

I will probably drop by the shop sometime that Shep is in so he can look at it, but I thought I would post here first in case someone else has run into this.

I purchased an Atlas R-One handguard and regular Aero upper from a local shop. It seems like the install went fine, but I could not get the fastener to line up properly.

One side is pulled in a bit, and the other side sticks out a bit
View attachment 3855523
Couple more views, from the side:
View attachment 3855529
View attachment 3855530

In some Youtube videos I saw, it looks like the barrel nut was supposed to come with some shims, and there were none. (The barrel nut bag was torn open, so maybe it was not complete?). Anyway, one of the videos said the barrel nut had to be timed so one of the grooves is at the top, right under the gas tube. Mine is not timed, and the groove is offset a bit. I didn't worry about it, as the gas tube was clear of the barrel nut (I could see light between the barrel nut and gas tube). I'm wondering if the barrel nut does need to be timed for the handguard fastener, and if so, maybe that is causing the issue with the handguard fastener?

I will probably drop by the shop sometime that Shep is in so he can look at it, but I thought I would post here first in case someone else has run into this.

I’ve never had to use the supplied shims with the Aero Atlas R-One or S-One barrel nut (same barrel nut on both).

I don’t see the pictured setup causing any issues, but I understand if it bugs you…..it would probably bug me. Every time I picked it up, my fingers would go looking for that protrusion.

There’s several tips and tricks to get them to line up properly centered, but they’re not easy to describe. For one, I grease the threads on both ends of the screw, and the outside of both the trapezoid-shaped nuts. Won’t cause any issues with the parts staying together, and will make sure that the mounting system doesn’t ”lock” together for later removal.

Additionally, the grease helps the trapezoids seat into the corresponding slots in the rail, which may be what’s causing the one on the right side to not seat. Having a Cerakoted rail will oftentimes make this worse.

If you bring it by TruPrep while I’m there, I can square it up in a few minutes, and talk you through what I’m doing while I’m doing it.

I’ve never had to use the supplied shims with the Aero Atlas R-One or S-One barrel nut (same barrel nut on both).

I don’t see the pictured setup causing any issues, but I understand if it bugs you…..it would probably bug me. Every time I picked it up, my fingers would go looking for that protrusion.

There’s several tips and tricks to get them to line up properly centered, but they’re not easy to describe. For one, I grease the threads on both ends of the screw, and the outside of both the trapezoid-shaped nuts. Won’t cause any issues with the parts staying together, and will make sure that the mounting system doesn’t ”lock” together for later removal.

Additionally, the grease helps the trapezoids seat into the corresponding slots in the rail, which may be what’s causing the one on the right side to not seat. Having a Cerakoted rail will oftentimes make this worse.

If you bring it by TruPrep while I’m there, I can square it up in a few minutes, and talk you through what I’m doing while I’m doing it.
Thanks, I'll try greasing the threads and the outside of the trapezoid-shaped nuts. If that doesn't resolve it, I'll bring it in so you can look at it. I agree with you that it is probably functional as-is, but I want it to look right, as well.

With the Atlas system, I believe I have always needed a couple of shims to achieve 12:00 barrel nut groove/gas tube alignment and, yes, they do include shims with the barrel nuts. While the Atlas system is a great locking design, it is a new learning experience for the first several installations.

Thanks, I'll try greasing the threads and the outside of the trapezoid-shaped nuts. If that doesn't resolve it, I'll bring it in so you can look at it. I agree with you that it is probably functional as-is, but I want it to look right, as well.
I greased it up (haha - way over-greased it). This time it shifted the other way (indented where it used to stick out, and vice versa).
1641700179885.png

Can you let me know the next weekend day you will be in the shop so I can swing by? Thanks!

I greased it up (haha - way over-greased it). This time it shifted the other way (indented where it used to stick out, and vice versa).
View attachment 3855741

Can you let me know the next weekend day you will be in the shop so I can swing by? Thanks!

I’ll definitely be there this Thursday and Friday, possibly before that.

Back
Top Bottom