• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Attempt to keep predators like coons and possums out of my chicken pen using carpet tack installed on the top rail.

I have never had any animal try to dig under the fence. Possums or coons show up at night looking for an easy meal. I have two large Cane Corsos so I've never had fox or yotes try to get them. Mostly possums and an occasional coon.
A raccoon will, but that’s an easy fix with putting hardware cloth below the grade, around the perimeter. I think you’re on the right track, but check out Bird spikes like the on below.

My neighbor lost all fourteen of his hens in a month. Possum crawl up and in the tree canopy and then came down a tree in the middle of the pen just like what you have…fence didn’t mean a thing to them.
I'm banking on possums being to lazy to climb either of those trees in the pen. The pine is a loblolly nearly a 100' tall. The oak is just as tough. I've never seen a possum in either of them. Raccoons yes but not a possum.

I have almost 50 hens now and they're like our pets, so we have built them fully enclosed runs with clear panels for sunlight but also fully wrapped in and perimeter buried hardware cloth. I have had a few bird strokes from the sky during the day, but nothing has ever breached any of my pens. If you value them, take a few extra steps to protect them. Predators aren't as stupid as they look and will find a way to eat when they're hungry.

My neighbor on the other hand, took the lazy way out and used chicken wire to cover chain-link fence and the raccoon's, opossum's and even a suspected weasel found the weak spots and killed her entire flock.

I did have a possum show up at night but it was a female and when it heard or saw my dogs it dropped the 4 babies it was carrying. It didn't go in the pen.
These things didn't even have their eyes open. Hideous ugly damn things. Not completely heartless so the babies went to a rescue in Florida.

Least of their worries. Those strips are no joke and would work to deter the two leg thieves away from the windows of your home as well. They grab a handful of those sharp tacks and plenty of DNA will be left
we called it tack track when I was using it. bad ass stuff.

Back
Top Bottom