• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Attention ODT math brain trust!

istockphoto-117632088-170667a.jpg

Yeah, I laughed at that title, too. Anyway...

What is the formula to calculate depth if all you have is angle below horizontal and length of line? Trying figure out how to determine how deep my lures are running when I troll.
Salt water trolling? If so you can buy a skate thing that's got adjustable depth setting.

Ya'll are seeing the problem. I don't trust what the manufacturers say the depth should be because there are too many variables. Also, what if it's just a jig and there is no manufacturer info.

I know there has to be a formula that will tell me what the vertical drop is if I have the actual length of the line and the angle down from the horizontal. The only unknown would be the amount of bow in the line caused by the drag of the water, but I think it will be pretty close using thin braid that cuts through the water well.

Length of your line is your hypotenuse. Guesstimate the angle of the line from the plane of the water. If you have an Iphone, pull up the calculator, turn your phone sideways, type the angle (ex 60) then hit the SIN button. Then multiply that value by the length of the line (hypotenuse) and thats your depth.

Back
Top Bottom