• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

ATTN Competition pistol shooters

So you don't do any dryfire type drills at home?

I get lots of free range time, so I don't do to much snapping in/dry fire.
Dry firing definitely has value though, don't let anyone tell you different.
In the Corps we dry fired for an entire week before qualification.

When I picked up an RMR for my Glock 34 for shooting the Open class I found I needed a lot of practice.
There's 2 basic hiccups when shooting a dot sight on a handgun, if you or anybody cares.

The first is target aquisition from the holster or ready position to the first plate.
It was hard to lift the gun up and put it on target, I was slower to the first plate than I was with irons.
A small post it note on the wall downstairs and some time dry firing was really worth the time spent.
Dry firing has value!
I'd look at the post it, close my eyes and lift the gun to where I knew the post it to be.
After awhile when I opened my eyes the dot was on the post it, no matter where I moved it on the wall.
(This is something you can do even with the irons!!!)

The second is target aquisition between all the other shots.
Just a little muzzle flip would move the dot towards and sometimes out of the top of the window.
Then you needed to reaquire the dot to put it on the next target.
All that costs time as you know.
The answer for that for me, was a KKM Precision barrel and compensator, now the dot doesn't leave the window when shooting.
(You can practice this as well going from post it to post it, just fake some muzzle flip.)
And make sure you're holding the gun tight, that left hand should be working and tired after about 250 rounds at the range.

You can most certainly learn to speed up your reloads by dry firing.

Yea I'm one of those idiots that spent a lot of money modifying a Glock, lol.
Again, I believe dry firing has value especially when done correctly.
Practice doesn't make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect.

All of the above advise and offers are outstanding, but I'll add my .2. Get a 22lr conversion for your pistol. The more time you spend on the range rather than the bench, the better. Obviously, a 22lr isn't going to do much for you on recovery, but there is a lot you can do for cheap practice with them. Not the least of which is presentation from the holster for the first shot. It also gives you the ability to simply put a LOT of rounds down range without breaking the bank.

^^ that, I also heard that Airsoft practice is pretty good for pistol shooting. I remember seeing a Japanese guy on shooting USA a few years ago come to the states and kick ass, and all he did was practice with Airsoft in Japan

Back
Top Bottom