• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

ATTN Competition pistol shooters

Someone above mentioned week night matches. I'm in for any info on this. This is another great thread. I appreciate everything everyone above has said

Trading place in Monroe and Heritage in McDonough both had weekly weeknight matches. I assuming they still do because those are the only two close enough to me for a Thursday match.

Bad practice is just that, bad practice. Until you know exactly what you should practice you're just developing bad habits. You need an experienced competition shooter to get you started in the right direction. I used to dryfire 30-45 minutes every morning for years but only after knowing the correct fundamentals. Go to a couple USPSA matches and I assure you there are guys or girls that can watch and help you get started. You may have to ask though because the better shooters know not everyone is open to free help. Book??? Read Brian Enos' book to learn the basics to great shooting. And most of all remember it's like anything else, you get out what you put in.

I've shot with a group on a regular weekly basis. As a new shooter myself, I stopped to spend more time and money on lessons and training. As said above, bad practice is just bad practice, but a practice match isn't the best place to learn. You can learn there, but they can't spend all night with you either. Learn the fundamentals from a trainer, then use the matches for a part of your practice.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

That reminds me, don't spend a bunch of money on crap that doesn't work. Competition shooters use what works and most of all what is dependable. Just because you think 357sig would be a great open gun round there is a reason you'd be the only one shootin' it. Figure out who are the better shooters and watch their equipment work, you'll learn a lot

If you want to make dry-fire practice more fun, look into LASR and using a training gun like a SIRT. If you are shooting GSSF, you can create the courses of fire in your home and LASR will track your hits and work as a shot timer. Like other dryfire, it doesn't provide the recoil but it will help you improve trigger control, grip, and transitioning from one target to the next....and gives you feedback on your accuracy. www.lasrapp.com

You have gotten some EXCELLENT advice so far...

I would emphasize that you should DEFINITELY get & read Brian Enos' book--It's chock-full of good info.

I also suggest implementing a Dry Fire Routine--It is the CHEAPEST "Practice" you can do, and MAYBE the MOST EFFECTIVE--REALLY! Dryfire will REINFORCE exactly those Fundamentals of Marksmanship that are both PERISHABLE if not used regularly and most susceptible to BREAKING DOWN under Pressure.

You should also "Practice With a Purpose"--Practice is NOT just slinging lead downrange, so WORK on a SPECIFIC aspect of your game, I.e., bettering your Draw Times or reducing your shot-to-shot "Splits"--Hand-in-hand with this would be Goal-setting & keeping at least a rudimentary Training Diary where you record your Goals, Practice Sessions, ID those areas where you need more work, etc.

In order to see your progress, you definitely need to invest in a decent Shot Timer, like the Pact Club Timer or something similar.

I would also suggest you obtain and read "Better Shooting" by Pullum & Hanenkrat--While their emphasis is primarily on Olympic-type Rifle Shooting, the sections on Goal Setting & use of the Training Diary are very worthwhile, and you will most certainly pick up two or three more "Tidbits" by reading that book...I also suggest "Peak Performance" by Charles Garfield as a very worthwhile read.

Last thing I will mention is that in my personal journey along this path, my FASTEST and LARGEST Gains in Accuracy under time pressure came from participating in Steel Challenge-type Matches--Most Shooters do not appreciate the ACCURACY DEMANDS of that Game, particularly when factoring in the quite real TIME PRESSURE Competitors find themselves under--Try it, it will help you IMMENSELY!

HTH, & let me know if you have any questions about anything I have suggested....mikey357

Back
Top Bottom