• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

ATTN Competition pistol shooters

A lot!
There's a free one for your phone, works great,
The buzz of the timer seems to make some people go full retard, never go full retard!

Besides how else would you know if you're doing any better?

But it is so much fun to watch people go full retard.

But seriously OP I am a OK competition shooter and there are really only a few things that you need to become way better.

1) never forget the basic fundamental's of pistol shooting (i.e. don't go fast until you can do these slow, nobody ever learned to run before they could crawl)

2) shot timer

3) dry fire training

4) live fire training ( this statement goes for number 3 also. You are wanting to get better and do better so train don't practice. Put yourself in odd positions force proficiency from kneeling or prone or urban prone or off center with a lean or cant to your body)

5) just my own advice for speed, grip the ever living crap out of your pistol. The tighter you hold the faster your follow up shots will be your arms and hands will force the pistol back to the last position it was just before you pulled the trigger and most importantly NEVER take your eyes off the front sight.

5.5)I don't know if you can or not some people have a really hard time with it but shoot both eyes open.

6) take video of yourself training you will be able to see what you are doing wrong with position or grip or stance.

Just my two cents this is what I do.

5) just my own advice for speed, grip the ever living crap out of your pistol. The tighter you hold the faster your follow up shots will be

For the OP, these are the kind of things you do not want to practice. How you grip a gun is of extreme importance to shooting accurately and fast. Choking the gun with a death grip is neither fast or accurate. The trigger hand needs to be somewhat relaxed with the grip hand somewhat firm. I used to go for about a 60-40 / 70-30%. Always made a measurable difference in my split times. Again I suggest getting help from an experienced competition shooter.

You have gotten some EXCELLENT advice so far...

I would emphasize that you should DEFINITELY get & read Brian Enos' book--It's chock-full of good info.

I also suggest implementing a Dry Fire Routine--It is the CHEAPEST "Practice" you can do, and MAYBE the MOST EFFECTIVE--REALLY! Dryfire will REINFORCE exactly those Fundamentals of Marksmanship that are both PERISHABLE if not used regularly and most susceptible to BREAKING DOWN under Pressure.

You should also "Practice With a Purpose"--Practice is NOT just slinging lead downrange, so WORK on a SPECIFIC aspect of your game, I.e., bettering your Draw Times or reducing your shot-to-shot "Splits"--Hand-in-hand with this would be Goal-setting & keeping at least a rudimentary Training Diary where you record your Goals, Practice Sessions, ID those areas where you need more work, etc.

In order to see your progress, you definitely need to invest in a decent Shot Timer, like the Pact Club Timer or something similar.

I would also suggest you obtain and read "Better Shooting" by Pullum & Hanenkrat--While their emphasis is primarily on Olympic-type Rifle Shooting, the sections on Goal Setting & use of the Training Diary are very worthwhile, and you will most certainly pick up two or three more "Tidbits" by reading that book...I also suggest "Peak Performance" by Charles Garfield as a very worthwhile read.

Last thing I will mention is that in my personal journey along this path, my FASTEST and LARGEST Gains in Accuracy under time pressure came from participating in Steel Challenge-type Matches--Most Shooters do not appreciate the ACCURACY DEMANDS of that Game, particularly when factoring in the quite real TIME PRESSURE Competitors find themselves under--Try it, it will help you IMMENSELY!

HTH, & let me know if you have any questions about anything I have suggested....mikey357

This the one?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0962...l+shooting&dpPl=1&dpID=51KbCVRlcXL&ref=plSrch

For the OP, these are the kind of things you do not want to practice. How you grip a gun is of extreme importance to shooting accurately and fast. Choking the gun with a death grip is neither fast or accurate. The trigger hand needs to be somewhat relaxed with the grip hand somewhat firm. I used to go for about a 60-40 / 70-30%. Always made a measurable difference in my split times. Again I suggest getting help from an experienced competition shooter.

I really dont agree with this. For me a loose grip causes muzzle deviation which equals slower follow up shots on target. But thats just it about shooting everyone does something different that works for them even if your wrong.

How much benefit to practicing with a shot timer?

It's really not practice without a shot timer... IMHO. Even if you're dry firing / practicing weapons manipulation you should be using a par timer. Knowing and practicing your splits.. Depending on where you are at we practice in Jasper / Ellijay frequently.

But it is so much fun to watch people go full retard.

6) take video of yourself training you will be able to see what you are doing wrong with position or grip or stance.

Oh we also use a smart phone app. called Coaches Eye. For the money one of the best things you can do. Can see your video frame by frame. Put a timer up on screen that runs concurrent to speed of video. You can draw lines and notes to see your recoil management and stance against a real line or angle. Zoom in to any part of the video to see the details of grip or finger placement ect.. $4.99

https://www.coachseye.com/

I had a guy in Conyers that used to teach pistol classes. From my experience the only thing that will make you better besides that initial training is Range time... and a Dillon
I have both and I am in the same boat as Free, LOL. I have improved some but have lots of room to improve. I have found that practicing my trigger pull and reset along with practicing my sight acquisition has helped improve my scores. If I ever learn to slow down a little during the match I might even lower my penalties which is what usually kills me.

I use this:
http://www.thesaltedearth.com
No it's not super cheap but I have two targets and they will sync together and can be mounted by tripod ,magnet, etc anywhere you choose. There are timed modes, accuracy, shoot/no shoot, memory, reload, multi mode, and shot group. I use both a SIRT and my own weapons with a laser cartridge dropped in. I also use a SIRT bolt in my AR from time to time on the targets as well. They are an absolute blast and you will get better all at the same time. They are so much fun I do have to remind myself to practice diligently and methodically when on them and not treat it as a game/toy. 1 hour of goofing around and and you will have had hundreds of bad repetitions ingrained in your muscle memory. The reverse of that is that if you do it right and often, you will get better much quicker than you expected.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
I came across the SaltedEart product in a previous post and it does look awesome! Definitely on my wish list and now that Trump will be in office, it should take priority this year in my budget knowing I have a few years to acquire some of the other items on my wish list. Santa brought me a SIRT and I purchased the LASR software which has been fun to practice with. I too like to shoot GSSF and want to get better.

I printed out a plate rack target and scaled it for distance. I like how LASR will do a random start timer and then record you splits. With all the cardboard from Christmas packages, I created scaled tombstone targets and plan to set them up for the Glock M and 5 to Glock courses of fire.

So far I've only had time to practice on the plates with the SIRT but it has been helpful in improving my time from low ready to the first target and getting comfortable transitioning from one plate to the next. I did some live fire practice on a plate rack this past weekend and was running a lot quicker than I normally do at a match.

LASR is pretty nice "out of the box" but they do offer downloadable plug-ins for an additional cost. I have not purchased any yet but they have one that has pre-programmed shapes for a lot of common targets. They also have a scoring plugin that allows you to configure point values or penalties for different zones on the target. I'll eventually buy both of them and be able to do training sessions that will kep my time and score it with penalties.

The SIRT and software were a pretty big initial expense but when you think about it in terms of live fire ammo cost, it is a way to get a lot more trigger time for a much lower price. I don't plan on scaling back on live fire...just adding to it from the convenience of home.

Back
Top Bottom