• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

ATTN Competition pistol shooters

Working that left hand is one of the best things I got out of listening to Jerry Miculek videos.
I see the difference for me and in others, I see it on the timer.

I just don't do it naturally, my weak hand is more of a rest till I remember what I'm supposed to do.
I'm old and slow and generally remember after the first shot, when I get more muzzle flip than I should have, lol.
If you can keep the gun flat to run between the plates it saves a lot of time.
For me I guess it's all about keeping the gun flat and I can't do it without my left hand working.....
So it was good advice for me. YMMV

Working that left hand is one of the best things I got out of listening to Jerry Miculek videos.
I see the difference for me and in others, I see it on the timer.

I just don't do it naturally, my weak hand is more of a rest till I remember what I'm supposed to do.
I'm old and slow and generally remember after the first shot, when I get more muzzle flip than I should have, lol.
If you can keep the gun flat to run between the plates it saves a lot of time.
For me I guess it's all about keeping the gun flat and I can't do it without my left hand working.....
So it was good advice for me. YMMV

Neither do I. Seems unnatural. I used to use a grip strengthener for my left hand only and had references to remind myself when dry-firing to focus on my left hand.

Neither do I. Seems unnatural. I used to use a grip strengthener for my left hand only and had references to remind myself when dry-firing to focus on my left hand.

I think a lot of it has to do with rifle shooting from the Corps (for me).
Like someone else said earlier, shooting a rifle long distance you barely want to touch the thing, now you have a gun you want to actually hold onto. The disciplines are so very different....
Light hold, careful aim, slow gentle trigger squeeze with the rifle and a stong hold, get on the target and shoot it as quickly as you can with the pistol, lol.
I took a lot of practice! Thank God I was a reloader and still I've spent a small fortune.
You can make shooting a lot more affordable, but it's rarely cheap.

Price? I couldn't find one. Or is it a "If you have to ask" kinda thing?
Google him and email him. You are either serious or your not. If you let money stand between you and training you will never progress. You will also need to practice, practice, practice.... At home without ammo in the room. Until you get blisters! Yes, there will be blisters, and that's just in the first day of Stoegers class. Lol. Just jump in. The best money you will spend in your shooting career.

Wow, we went from the advice "grip the piss out of it" to grip the piss out of it with the WEAK hand. Which is not bad advice at all BECAUSE it allows the trigger hand to relax somewhat and manipulate the trigger. All of which was my original point, if someone tells you to grip the piss out of the gun it's NOT good advice and therefore I suggested the OP seek advice from an experienced shooter. If you think I'm picky regarding the details it's because to improve shooting skills it requires attention to every detail. Best of luck

Your right it's GREAT advice. A 60/40 or 70/30 causes muzzle to rise and move laterally to the direction of the week side. It's 100% both hands. Im not some dick head who never shoots or never gets quality training from a pro. Despite what you think.

Your right it's GREAT advice. A 60/40 or 70/30 causes muzzle to rise and move laterally to the direction of the week side. It's 100% both hands. Im not some dick head who never shoots or never gets quality training from a pro. Despite what you think.

Easy now killer I don't think anyone called you names, lol.

You need defending give me a shout, I've seen you shoot many times and you're a good fast and accurate hand gunner! :becky:

Better than me by far. (And I'm not chicken liver myself, lol.)

I'm a bent elbow guy and naturally go that way. I've actually noticed it in 3 gun matches.
I'm stronger that way, I think and can keep the gun flatter.
Ever since I noticed I naturally go that way, I try to make sure that's what I do all the time.

Your last post saying different things works for different people reminds me of a John Wayne movie.
He asks the guy if he's any good with his gun, guy says he's really good.
John Wayne tells him to stand right there and he throws something and the fella missed it again and again.
He says, I thought you said you were good with that gun?
Fella asks if he can move, this time he doesn't miss.

Easy now killer I don't think anyone called you names, lol.

You need defending give me a shout, I've seen you shoot many times and you're a good fast and accurate hand gunner! :becky:

Better than me by far. (And I'm not chicken liver myself, lol.)

Haha yeah no names were called and thanks for the compliments I really appreciate it and means a lot from an experienced shooter.

Bad practice is just that, bad practice. Until you know exactly what you should practice you're just developing bad habits. You need an experienced competition shooter to get you started in the right direction. I used to dryfire 30-45 minutes every morning for years but only after knowing the correct fundamentals. Go to a couple USPSA matches and I assure you there are guys or girls that can watch and help you get started. You may have to ask though because the better shooters know not everyone is open to free help. Book??? Read Brian Enos' book to learn the basics to great shooting. And most of all remember it's like anything else, you get out what you put in.
Bad practice is just that, bad practice. Until you know exactly what you should practice you're just developing bad habits. You need an experienced competition shooter to get you started in the right direction. I used to dryfire 30-45 minutes every morning for years but only after knowing the correct fundamentals. Go to a couple USPSA matches and I assure you there are guys or girls that can watch and help you get started. You may have to ask though because the better shooters know not everyone is open to free help. Book??? Read Brian Enos' book to learn the basics to great shooting. And most of all remember it's like anything else, you get out what you put in.

This can't be emphasized enough, practice doesn't make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect.

IMO just shooting matches during the week isn't going to improve your overall accuracy. Select whatever course of fire you are going to pursue, and then practice one stage at home or at the range until you feel like you have accomplished that stage. just shooting matches is mostly going to re-enforce whatever habits you have have now. I got to be a pretty fair PPS shooter doing this.

Back
Top Bottom