• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

ATV/small engine guys! Need help

+1 for carb. The jets are ridiculously tiny, and can clog from other debris floating around after cleaning. Could give it a shot cleaning again, or just buy a cheap chinese one.

it is a polaris. so it could be one of your tires is low on air.
a polaris is a very picky machine. i wont even change the tires on them at my shop. they run great until they dont, and then they can be money pits.
pull the drain screw out of the bottom of the carb, turn on the fuel, see if it runs out of the drain.
at that point you know if you are getting gas or not.
if getting gas, put your hand over the back of the carb. you will need to remove the intake boot. try and start it. when you turn it over with your hand over the back of the carb, it will suck fuel out of the float bowl, if not the main jet is seriously clogged. if it does suck fuel remove your hand and it should fire. it may die again, if it does repeat, and then cover the back when it starts to die. then you will know if its carb or not.
also
its a 99 so probably a 4 stroke, but is it 2 or 4 stroke? 2 stroke could be reeds as well....

it is a polaris. so it could be one of your tires is low on air.
a polaris is a very picky machine. i wont even change the tires on them at my shop. they run great until they dont, and then they can be money pits.
pull the drain screw out of the bottom of the carb, turn on the fuel, see if it runs out of the drain.
at that point you know if you are getting gas or not.
if getting gas, put your hand over the back of the carb. you will need to remove the intake boot. try and start it. when you turn it over with your hand over the back of the carb, it will suck fuel out of the float bowl, if not the main jet is seriously clogged. if it does suck fuel remove your hand and it should fire. it may die again, if it does repeat, and then cover the back when it starts to die. then you will know if its carb or not.
also
its a 99 so probably a 4 stroke, but is it 2 or 4 stroke? 2 stroke could be reeds as well....
4 stroke.

I took the jet out and sprayed carb cleaner through it and a steady solid stream shot out the end.
2 jets. primary/pilot and main. the main is the bigger one that the needle sits in, there is a small one as well. check it. it should look like this
3131397 PILOT JET
the hole in it is super tiny.

2 jets. primary/pilot and main. the main is the bigger one that the needle sits in, there is a small one as well. check it. it should look like this
3131397 PILOT JET
the hole in it is super tiny.
Yes, I unscrewed both and cleaned. I’ll probably order a new carb and put new lines on it. See what that gets me.

Yes, I unscrewed both and cleaned. I’ll probably order a new carb and put new lines on it. See what that gets me.
If it won’t crank/run on started fluid, your problem lies in a spark or compression issue. It is giving you a good “chuff chuff”when you kick it over, right? Plug is gapped correctly?

Back
Top Bottom