• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

ATV/small engine guys! Need help

BlackRifler42

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
151   0
Reaction score
I was given a 1999 Polaris Magnum 500. It’s in really good shape for its age with 366hrs. It has set in a warehouse for the last 15 years. I emptied what little gas was in the tank, disassembled the carb and cleaned, new petcock/gas button, new spark plug, new air filter, and I have a new fuel pump on the way even though I think the old one was fine. Nothing was gunked up and was surprisingly clean. I went to fire it up and couldn’t get it started. I sprayed some carb cleaner in the air intake and it fired up for a split second. It’s almost like it’s not getting gas. Is there anything else I could do or I’m missing? I’m fairly certain the fuel lines are free and clear and the fuel pump I believe was working. I’m not an expert on small engines so this is why I’m asking you fine folks who have helped me out before. Do i need to fill the tank up? I only poured maybe 3/4 of a gallon in. Any ideas?

Carbs on these small engines don’t like to sit for that long and even trying to completely clean everything in it is tough. If you’re getting fuel to the carb, compression and spark, I’d recommend just replacing the carb. They are cheap enough or rebuild the current one.

Carburetor For Polaris Magnum 500 325 330 425 2x4 4X4 HDS 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 https://a.co/d/cL83f7Y

If it fires when you spray fuel into the intake then the issue is most likely with the fuel lines or the carb.
You can probably buy a carb rebuild kit for $25 or an aftermarket carb for $50.

Carbs on these small engines don’t like to sit for that long and even trying to completely clean everything in it is tough. If you’re getting fuel to the carb, compression and spark, I’d recommend just replacing the carb. They are cheap enough or rebuild the current one.

Carburetor For Polaris Magnum 500 325 330 425 2x4 4X4 HDS 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 https://a.co/d/cL83f7Y
Yeah, a new carb is $40 or so. May have to do that.

Back
Top Bottom