• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

ATV/small engine guys! Need help

What fixed it and what size tires?
I’m embarrassed to say….I had no clue the “fuel out fitting” in the bottom of the gas tank was so long. I believe after replacing the fuel system which needed to be done anyways after sitting for 15 years, I didn’t have enough gas in the tank :doh: The tires on it right now or 25x8-12/25x11-10.

I’m embarrassed to say….I had no clue the “fuel out fitting” in the bottom of the gas tank was so long. I believe after replacing the fuel system which needed to be done anyways after sitting for 15 years, I didn’t have enough gas in the tank :doh: The tires on it right now or 25x8-12/25x11-10.

what are you planning on using it for? Walmart typically has a good selection and decent price. Really depends on what surfaces it’s gonna be on primarily. This is a cheap general use.

what are you planning on using it for? Walmart typically has a good selection and decent price. Really depends on what surfaces it’s gonna be on primarily. This is a cheap general use.

General use and trail riding probably. My burying 4 wheeler in mud days are over I think.

General use and trail riding probably. My burying 4 wheeler in mud days are over I think.
I have these on my Honda, great on soft ground and trails but will rattle your teeth on hard surfaces.
DD883CEC-8FF2-43C4-9948-D64B7A1A3685.jpeg

ED22E906-3693-4B5E-892E-0D7F0E26A4CE.jpeg

These are on my Polaris Ranger and ride super smooth on all surfaces. They also don’t tear up your yard like the ones on the Honda.
72490AEE-2DB2-4C45-A2A9-59304F8E5EB1.jpeg
84BEAD93-5739-4635-804E-300A6DBC9935.jpeg

Where do you get those Duro Frontier tires?
On the ODT!!! I think I paid $200-300 for them mounted on those wheels. They came off a brand new Polaris Ranger, still had the nubbies on them, lol. One man’s junk…..and all that. And I’ll shell out the money to replace them if I ever need too.

These new ethanol fuels with develope gum and varnish on the inside of the carb. My guess if it Fired up momentarily it got trash or varnish in the ports inside the carb. What about the fuel filter? Did you blow air back through the pet cock back into the fuel tank? Could be trash settling in the gas tank that didn't come out when you poured it out. Needle and seat need replaced so a new carb or rebuilt kit. Who is the manufacturer of the engine? I can look at a parts break down and give me an idea of the path of fuel and spark. Sometimes the tank will have a fuel sock and that will be covered in trash. Crank the engine with fuel lime disconnected from the carb check flow. Diaphragm om the fuel pump could be week or cracked. I not familiar with Polaris brand so I don't know the of the engine but that makes no difference when diagnosing problem, they all pretty much are based on the same concept. Give me engine code number and let me at it and I might be able to narrow it down for you. Also take a piece of Emory cloth and clean up the spark plug boot. Could be corrosion especially on a off road type environment. Double check what I just suggested and let me know who it goes. I can get to the bottom of this. I have worked on literally hundreds if not thousands of small engines. One thing you might want to do with a engine with that age and use is a compression check. One of the basic checks to do before getting invasive in any engine. You you can get all the fuel in the world all the air you can get and all the spark you can get but if it has low compression it is not going to fire. You can fool it sometimes with ether but that doesn't work too often if it's really really low.

If your compression is okay and you're getting plenty of fuel to the carb you can usually buy a carb rebuild kit for around 8 or 10 bucks for those. You're going to want to get a big can of gum out or some good quality carb cleaner. You going to want to take the little red attachment and put that in the ports and blow it out until you see a good bit of carb cleaner shooting out the little ports and passages. Make sure to put the new float in and adjust it it'll have a little tool on the shape of an L to do that and will you give you the right angle of the float to start with. Those carburetors are so simple that I would try rebuilding it first. When I bought my bass boat when I first moved up here I rebuilt both carbs and it ran like a sewing machine there's really not that much that can go wrong. All you get is just a few gaskets a new needle and seat with a spring, a new jet and that's pretty much it depending on what type of carb it is. Just lay paper towels or newspaper down on the table and keep everything clean spray everything out real good and if you have a compressor shoot air through the ports and passages. You're going to end up with a lot more parts than your particular carb will need because those kits are made to fit many different carbs of that type. So just make sure when you take it apart keep each little piece separate and match everything up correctly and then clean it and put it back together. Again I would try the compression test first just to make sure you're not wasting your time. Look up the compression spec on that engine and if it's not within spec you have a serious a problem.

If your compression is okay and you're getting plenty of fuel to the carb you can usually buy a carb rebuild kit for around 8 or 10 bucks for those. You're going to want to get a big can of gum out or some good quality carb cleaner. You going to want to take the little red attachment and put that in the ports and blow it out until you see a good bit of carb cleaner shooting out the little ports and passages. Make sure to put the new float in and adjust it it'll have a little tool on the shape of an L to do that and will you give you the right angle of the float to start with. Those carburetors are so simple that I would try rebuilding it first. When I bought my bass boat when I first moved up here I rebuilt both carbs and it ran like a sewing machine there's really not that much that can go wrong. All you get is just a few gaskets a new needle and seat with a spring, a new jet and that's pretty much it depending on what type of carb it is. Just lay paper towels or newspaper down on the table and keep everything clean spray everything out real good and if you have a compressor shoot air through the ports and passages. You're going to end up with a lot more parts than your particular carb will need because those kits are made to fit many different carbs of that type. So just make sure when you take it apart keep each little piece separate and match everything up correctly and then clean it and put it back together. Again I would try the compression test first just to make sure you're not wasting your time. Look up the compression spec on that engine and if it's not within spec you have a serious a problem.
He got it going. Didn’t have enough gas.

Got it running! Thanks for y’all’s suggestions! Now my next question, what’s the best place to get a set of tires? I don’t need anything super aggressive, just a stock/factory set of affordable tires.

Back
Top Bottom