• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Audio books

avmtdan

Default rank <2500 posts Lifetime Supporter
Searching for John Galt
123   0
Reaction score
I listen to a lot of audiobooks on my way between work and home. Mostly history, some fiction. I am looking for suggestions for books you have enjoyed, and a brief description why. I prefer to stay out of any books that have an overtly political message leaning either way (I use these to keep me awake on my drive home, not drive me crazy about the stupidity around us).

As I am asking for this, I will lead it off. My most recent finished audio book is Dear Reader by Michael Malice. Its an un-official biography about Kim John Un, and provides an interesting first person narrative on why North Korea is the way it is. If you read or listen to it, its kind of a sympathy for the Devil kind of story. I thought it was interesting on how North Korea was created, but it is written from the standpoint of the all seeing, all knowing, always correct leader. If you can get past this part of it, it makes for an interesting perspective. Not much re-readability to me, but did enlighten me as to some of the troubles in the region.

I love science fiction as well (Orson Scott Card, etc). Please, keep any responses as suggestions. I would rather this thread not devolve into a "Hemingway was a communist, but ive never read a book so let me tell you everything about everything discussion". Had a book that had merit and taught you about something, then lets hear about it.

Most recent Previous titles I have read:
Good to Great - About how to take good businesses and make them great (my managers at work read it, I read it to keep an eye on what the latest trend in management may be)

For Whom the Bell Tolls - Loved the song by metallica, no connection to the book. An interesting work of fiction based on historical context. Had never read anything from Hemingway, he was definitely a literary genius. Very vivid writer.

Killing Lincoln- Bill Oreilly - Very interesting read on the process and antagonists, as well as providing additional background to the civil war

Alexander Hamilton- Knew nothing about Hamilton prior to the book. Very complex, but a compelling story as to the birth of the nation, and the strife on all sides. I had naively never considered that the formation of the US was not a unanimous act, nor the divisions that were caused as soon as the ink was dry on the declaration of independence. A wonderful look into the history of factionalism in the US, and an interesting look into the precursor actions into the civil war.

I only read fiction as I am tired of the world at the end of the day. I read a lot of science fiction as it gets me further removed from the current state of affairs.
I am also a big fan of reading the books that inspire the movies. That being said, I will add in response as things come to me....They don't come...as fast as they used to, so bare with me.

Atlas Shrugged - Ayn Rand said she wanted to be writer more so than a philosopher - I found her to be quite the writer. There is a bit of it all in this long read, I enjoyed it thoroughly. What put Ayn Rand on my reading list was Rush's sci-fi album 2112, one of my favorites of all time. Niel Pert sites Rand's novelette Anthem as the inspiration for the music. Onfinding this out, I read it immediately, it proved to be a great story as well.

11-22-63 - Stephen King is one of my favorites. Fictional history, a what if we could go back and get Oswald before he takes the shot.....Lots of hanging on for the next shoe to drop. This is typical King, easy to read and follow, heavy on character development. If you have not stepped into Kings world, this is a good one to start with.

2001 by Arthur C. Clark - If you didn't totally get all the weird stuff in the movie. Read the book for sure.

I will look around when I get home at my library and continue, if you are interested. I enjoy cataloging some of the greats and the conversation.

I have Atlas Shrugged, great book, if nothing else than for the great man theory. You should checkout the fountainhead if you havent already. I will check out 2112, sounds interesting, and I appreciate the recommendation.

Havent read 2001, I bet it would a good one as well. Stephen King is a decent author, just not one of my favorites.

Again, thanks for the recommendations. Please keep them coming.

Dune by Frank Herbert is front and center on my shelf, the 1st book that my eyes focused on when looking for recommendations - the universe is ruled by those who control the spice and there is only one planet where it can be found.... Sound familiar? Herbert spent time in the oil industry which was undoubtedly the inspiration for this and the 6 books that follow. Don't let the 80s movie shy you away from this. The movie was good but it pales in comparison to the literary masterpiece.

Crime and Punishment (I haven't watched the movie) no worse position than being an axes murdering Russian with a conscience that is driving him mad. Oh all the guilt contained in one book.... Not a happy story

Phillip K. Dick is a master of science fiction. He for told the world in which we live now. Right up there with Orwell and Huxley (Brave New World) DO Androids Dream of Electric Sheep (Blade Runner), A Scanner Darkly, and Flow my Tears the Police Man Said all for tell of drug fuled societies controlled by a police state under constant surveillance .... Sound familiar??

my personal favorite - "black rednecks and white liberals" by thomas sowell. i listen to it every year. a little dry, it reads like a text book, but opens your eyes to a whole lot of stuff we don't think about. and i like bernie goldberg, "100 people who are screwing up america". a little dated, but still spot on. i agree with "dune" and "a brave new world" for sci-fi. i read "atlas shrugged" and "fountainhead", but i might be a little slow in the head for those two. i just didn't get it.

I have Atlas Shrugged, great book, if nothing else than for the great man theory. You should checkout the fountainhead if you havent already. I will check out 2112, sounds interesting, and I appreciate the recommendation.

Havent read 2001, I bet it would a good one as well. Stephen King is a decent author, just not one of my favorites.

Again, thanks for the recommendations. Please keep them coming.
2001 was an interesting book, thanks for the recommendation. Ordered the movie to see how it compares. Downloading crime and punishment now.

Back
Top Bottom