• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Aug 15th= squirrels....anyone ready?

Sounds good man. Most of our squirrels are blonde/reddish with black faces, with white on the tips of their noses. Really beautiful. They get pretty big too. We have plenty of greys too.

I have a friend who's property that has supported fox squirrels for 30 years plus. We never really hunted them so they kept the breed going. I haven't been there in several years but I have not a doubt there still is a good population still there.

Reactions: MRH
I have a friend who's property that has supported fox squirrels for 30 years plus. We never really hunted them so they kept the breed going. I haven't been there in several years but I have not a doubt there still is a good population still there.

They are pretty, and the ones on my place are considerably larger than grey squirrels. My parents have a place in Social Circle and there has always been a good population of fox squirrels around there. I've never hunted them much, but have busted a whole bunch of greys over the years.

They are pretty, and the ones on my place are considerably larger than grey squirrels. My parents have a place in Social Circle and there has always been a good population of fox squirrels around there. I've never hunted them much, but have busted a whole bunch of greys over the years.

Yeah the ones I've saw were large as well. I just wonder about inbreeding. Surely it affects squirrels also?

Reactions: MRH
I have a deer feeder off my patio that I can see from the bathroom window. Lots of deer and a ton of tree rats. I told my wife this morning that those squirrels are going to be good and fat when time comes for biscuits and white gravy. She turned up her nose. :hungry:

Yeah the ones I've saw were large as well. I just wonder about inbreeding. Surely it affects squirrels also?

Well, according to this write up, no, they do not cross breed.

https://www.whatdosquirrelseat.org/when-do-squirrels-have-babies/

"They see everything in shades of black, white, and gray, and squirrels do not mate with other species of squirrels. An Eastern gray squirrel does not mate with an American red squirrel, nor does a Northern flying squirrel mate with a Fox squirrel."

Finished with a 410
31431DCB-21FA-4A78-8C07-5A89F8DB5326.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom