• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Auto knives legal?

Yes
boogar presley.gif

Very legal. However, if you for some reason had an auto with a blade length greater than 12" (unlikely), the carrier must technically have a GA WCL.

Very legal. However, if you for some reason had an auto with a blade length greater than 12" (unlikely), the carrier must technically have a GA WCL.

GifMeme 03032023153332.gif

Years ago the late owner of Burt's Blades knife shop in Warner Robins told me that in Georgia legally speaking it doesn't matter HOW the knife opens and closes. What matters is blade length. And I THINK he told me it needed to be under 6" in blade length to be legal. Otherwise it's supposed to be carried in a belt sheath or case. So OTF and side opening automatics are legal. Hell I bought two for my last daughter as Birthday and Christmas gifts at the Sports Center here in Perry. Same goes for gravity knives and butterfly knives.

State law, for the State of Georgia, doesn't address switchblades / auto-openers as far as I know.

Federal law DOES, but it only bans the sale of such knives in interstate commerce. So if I were a retail seller, I would not acquire any such knives online, knowing that they were
made overseas, imported into the USA in some state (probably not imported into Georgia, although we do have the Port of Savannah to consider),
then shipped to some big distribution center (very likely in some state other than Georgia),
and finally shipped to my little knife and blade shop here in Georgia.

Although the feds don't seem to interested in enforcing this law, it's on the books, and has been since the late 1950s.
(Due to all that West Side Story type stuff-- Sharks vs. Jets having a rumble and all that...)

1677947498473.png

Back
Top Bottom