• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Auto Parts Counter Guys...

Mrjim did you ever cross motorcycle/motocross paths with Ron George? He rode mx and I think he was from your area of Illinois. I was active in the Peoria Dirt Riders in the early 1970s for a couple years and was the AMA District 17 congressman in 1974. I think Ron rode Yamahas back then, had one of the first monoshock bikes I ever saw.

Oh the stories I could tell from being in auto parts at
Ford dealer about 25 years. Definitely preferred
dealership over Heinz 57 auto parts store like NAPA.
Rather have all parts for one brand than some parts
for every brand.

I have had better experiences at NAPA as well or the small town auto parts stores.

Dealt with a girl once at autozone, but she knew nothing about the model or engines I was asking about.

Another woman at AZ read the label off the lead substitute I was buying, but I had only asked if they had more, not what it does. :doh:

Just had to buy a gas cap for a f150.

already told him year and model, and that was first question - like each size engine has a different gas cap?

In their defense, I took this up with the counter clerk once, and their computers are set up so they can't go to the next level without the requested information.

True story, wanted to change the filter in another earlier F150. Stopped at store, gave all the relevant info, got the part, took off home.

Dropped the pan on this big ass auto tranny, of course got fluid all over myself, laying on the ground, pulled out the old one, and it's not even close to the new one. Different size, different shape, different color.

So back to the part store, old filter, new filter, same clerk - editing a lot of the conversation, I pointed out that the new filter he had sold me was clearly not the same as the one in the transmission. Could he look on the shelf and see if he could find the right filter?

Nope, that was the part number the computer showed for that transmission, end of story. It had to be the right part.

then he didn't want to give me my money back because the box was "soiled".

There were of course challenges sometimes with understanding what some folks were asking for when they came into the store. But we had fun with. We’d call one of our other stores pretending to be a customer and ask them for the same part. An example would be a “light batter“ one woman asked for. Finally figured out it was a dimmer switch. For you younguns they were on the floorboard back then.

Mrjim did you ever cross motorcycle/motocross paths with Ron George? He rode mx and I think he was from your area of Illinois. I was active in the Peoria Dirt Riders in the early 1970s for a couple years and was the AMA District 17 congressman in 1974. I think Ron rode Yamahas back then, had one of the first monoshock bikes I ever saw.
Don’t recognize that name. I bought my motocross bike at Blakleys and Joe Blakley was a year older than me. He held the No 1 plate in district 13 flat track for a few years.

There were of course challenges sometimes with understanding what some folks were asking for when they came into the store. But we had fun with. We’d call one of our other stores pretending to be a customer and ask them for the same part. An example would be a “light batter“ one woman asked for. Finally figured out it was a dimmer switch. For you younguns they were on the floorboard back then.

That and a foot cranker ...

Back
Top Bottom