• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Auto shopping...this is getting... Update! search is Over!!

SOLGardener

Default rank <3000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
57   0
Reaction score
I posted earlier this year about car shopping and looking into a used Porsche Carrera and I got some good info at the time about IMS bearing failure, and came out leaning more towards the 997 than the 996.

I've been getting my credit in a better spot to finance a vehicle in the mean time.

Then, I played with getting a Tacoma or Tundra. Due to a post about rear diff issues, I've left that idea behind.

That transitioned into looking into JDM Land Cruiser diesels- pretty much the complete opposite of a Carrera!

Both are fun vehicles that I would plan to daily drive for the most part.

The Porsche would let me pass traffic with more authority than my current 336000 mile 97 4Runner (which actually passes like a MOFO)

The Land Cruiser diesel would let me just enjoy the ride knowing I'm passing no one.

So I got preapproval for a loan, have a line on awesomely equipped Land Cruiser 80 series Diesel, 5 speed, locked diffs, factory winch..... but I can't pull the trigger. I'm just not settled on it and I'm not sure why. The truck will get 22mpg/over 500 miles per tank of fuel, is low mileage for a Toyota diesel at 120K, but something holds me back.

I type this all to see if it helps me decide on what route to take.

I've spent the last three days looking at 2007-2009 Porsche Caymans and they driving experience sounds great, but I haven't driven a car in 30 years. I don't know if I can enjoy it.

I'm not bound to the loan, so can continue saving, but I think I need to test drive the Porsche to see if it does it for me.

I have a Land Cruiser, so know I can love it and will not be bothered by the right hand drive.

What's weird is not having a huge pull in one way- no vehicle that I just have to have!

I miss my 72 Blazer, and have looked at them, but that's much more nostalgic, weekend toy that I want to invest in.

I looked at my absolute favorite- 63-66 corvette. I just can't imagine driving one 12-14K a year, and I don't collect things. I either use them or liquidate them....

I will add that I don't think I've ever been in the place to choose a vehicle that wasn't a necessity, and that makes it harder to jump into something...

Miata.
Cheaper and more reliable than the Porsche.
Less expensive to maintain.
Ragtop.
More comfortable than a truck.
Unlimited go fast options. 300whp is possible for about $6k.
Great MPG if it's a DD concern.

Almost did the Porsche thing before I picked up my Miata. I may end up with one eventually, but the new Vette keeps catching my attention...and I'm not a Vette kinda guy.

I like the look of the new Miata, I looked at FRS/BRZ's, I've looked at about everything in the price range from 1955 to present. There's nothing that just does it for me. I guess I need to go test drive, or just buy another 4runner.

I was split between a Porsche (911 or cayenne) and an old "muscle car". I bought a 1970 all original (except the top) Buick Skylark Custom. I got a screaming deal, which helped the decision a lot. Also, based on how I want to drive, the Buick was better on avoiding tickets, I'd be in trouble with the Porsche.

The main factor for me was resale value. The buick is worth 3x what I paid. Not sure even an older 911 would be an asset.

Go with your God given instincts. When it's right, you'll know

Ran into the same wall while looking at motor cycles. I couldn't find anything I really wanted so I'm waiting until I find something that really catches my interest. I have plenty of other toys to keep me entertained until I find something I want.

Built trucks are crazy fast in a strait line. A tundra with a supercharger would be a blast, over 500hp with factory parts. Diesels are fun too, just expensive to maintain...i don't miss $250 oil changes.

Stay the course and drive your 4-runner and save more money then buy a economy Honda or Toyota with cash. Mita is a teeny-tiny death box and you will NEVER adjust going from your 4-runner into one, space, ergo's or comfort wise.

Ive been looking and squeezing the trigger and then back off and look some more. I'm pretty much convinced that I'd rather drive my 300k GMC Yukon into the ground than get into a car loan. I feel like SOLGardener does, nothing really excites me enough to make me pull that trigger and pay that note every month.

I've never had a car note- even in this case it would be a low interest unsecured loan. I've paid off almost all debt other than my house, so that's the only reason I'll consider a loan, and whatever I buy, I'll have it for 10 years of more. I usually run my vehicles into the ground...

On oil changes, my FZJ80 holds two gallons. About the same for a Toyota Diesel. The thing that has me interested in the diesel is the 22mpg and 500K engine life.

As I work through this, little things expose themselves. The HDJ81 that I didn't pull the trigger on- I' emailed the guy and told him I was gonna hold off and think about it and he tried the hard sell tactic of "there's another guy with cash in hand, blah blah blah" That is what I was nervous about- his scruples in selling.

It's really between these two polar opposites:

hzj73_311.jpg

and
s-l1600.jpg

I've never had a car note- even in this case it would be a low interest unsecured loan. I've paid off almost all debt other than my house, so that's the only reason I'll consider a loan, and whatever I buy, I'll have it for 10 years of more. I usually run my vehicles into the ground...

On oil changes, my FZJ80 holds two gallons. About the same for a Toyota Diesel. The thing that has me interested in the diesel is the 22mpg and 500K engine life.

As I work through this, little things expose themselves. The HDJ81 that I didn't pull the trigger on- I' emailed the guy and told him I was gonna hold off and think about it and he tried the hard sell tactic of "there's another guy with cash in hand, blah blah blah" That is what I was nervous about- his scruples in selling.

It's really between these two polar opposites:

hzj73_311.jpg

and
s-l1600.jpg

If it's a dd the Porsche would be more fun. How often do you go off road?

I'm having the same problem in the 5-20k range. Audi A5 with a tune, Infiniti Q37, Jag post 2005 XK or J 8, XK or J R, EX35, SL500, 500SL, CLK500 550, CL500, BMW 645, cheapo Z350. I used to get hooked on a car or bike, nowadays, not so bothered, very frustrating.

Back
Top Bottom